Fanno Creek

S
sapo
Has anyone been out to Fanno Creek lately? I've never been there and wonder if there is fishing of any sort, and if so, where? I have a friend who says they see 8-12" fish in that creek but can't identify them. There are rumors of salmon as well...? Any help would be appreciated.

F
FishFinger
sapo, welcome to the forum.
Fanno creek eh? It's not impossible but highly unlikely coho spawn in Fanno, but it is a tributary to the Taulatin.

I would imagine what your friend saw were/ was squaw fish, which are abundant in the Taulatin.

As a youth I never seriously fished Fanno for anything other than crawdads; a few of which were huge.

D
DrTheopolis
I live up the street from Fanno, and bike the trail all the time. First, I'm quite confident that coho spawn in Fanno. A good chunk of the coho over the Falls are heading to the Tualatin, and Fanno is one of the first big tribs upstream.

I believe most of the cutthroat population is up high, in the colder, clearer, faster water - like around Hillsdale. In Beaverton and Tigard, all the culverts and whatnot make it a big stagnant pool for much of it. I think there's a few pikeminnow, and I've seen kids catching... are those things called "dace"? And at the lower extreme/mouth, there's carp and squawfish o'plenty (accessed through Cook Park, Durham Park, or Tualatin Community Park). But the Tualatin is high right now (and probably will be for a couple of months -- sucker doesn't drop very quickly).

I'll occasionally tie the ultralight to the bike and go mess around near the mouth. Mostly pikeminnow.

If I was going to make a trip to check out Fanno, I'd probably go around Woodard Park (which is right down the street from me), which has some flow/broken surface, maybe down towards the library. Above Woodard (east of Scholls Ferry), I don't know if it's beavers, or some ill-advised habitat restoration, but there's pile of debris, which bring the flow to a near-standstill for quite a ways upstream (all through Greenway Park and beyond). You can't really get to the creek above Denny Rd for much of that stretch. I don't know of any access in the Hillsdale area, which is where I've been told stories of cutthroat (all small).

Regardless, I'd check the regs before you go.

I'd love to hear a report if you go.

S
sapo
DrTheopolis, I'll be sure to leave a report after I fish Fanno. Sounds interesting, you said you fished near the mouth and caught some fish. What have you caught in Woodard park, and is it worth going?

D
DrTheopolis
I've never fished Woodard Park (closest point on Fanno to me), but have seen a couple of people fishing under the bridge there. Looks like as good of water as you'll find in Tigard, though. Looks like cutthroat might like it, which means nothing.

Again, check the regs. Not that you'll ever get checked, but I do know bait is never allowed on Fanno (and any other unlisted creeks). And I forget what the open seasons are. Tigard has lots of fishing for the "lesser breeds."