Bait for shore fishing for rockfish and perch

B
backyardhunter3006
What is the best bait for shore fishing for rockfish and perch. Thanks

J
jesse202505
backyardhunter3006 said:
What is the best bait for shore fishing for rockfish and perch. Thanks

For lincod I use octopus. Everything eats octupus. Plus its tough and lasts all day until you snag and loose it. Try it

Reactions: Papa J.
C
chad wiest
Lings love octopus for sure! They are opportunistic though and while bait works they will readily eat swimbaits and twin tail rubbers. Try plastics tipped with octopus for scent. Colors resembling kelp greenling work well.

T
troutmasta
Clam necks, salad shrimp, squid, rubber things, jigs,

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Sand shrimp work good for greenling, perch, and cabazon. Grub jigs with tails work well for lingcod like the guys above said

Casting Call
Casting Call
U-tube "the easy to get free:bait" 1:20 through 4:20 mins. Tony

Last edited:
kemfish
kemfish
Sand shrimp work the best for me, but do come with a little extra effort to keep on a hook and do have a cost if you don't collect your own. I use uncooked frozen shrimp from the supermarket as a good substitute. Easy to work with, easy to keep and if you wait til they are on sale (some bag almost always is) you can usually get them for a reasonable price ($5-6 per pound). Size doesn't matter, cut them into small chunks and bait up. Sand shrimp do seem to get other species as well, while the frozen shrimp only seem to catch the perch and greenling.

Papa J.
Papa J.
kemfish said:
Sand shrimp work the best for me, but do come with a little extra effort to keep on a hook and do have a cost if you don't collect your own. I use uncooked frozen shrimp from the supermarket as a good substitute. Easy to work with, easy to keep and if you wait til they are on sale (some bag almost always is) you can usually get them for a reasonable price ($5-6 per pound). Size doesn't matter, cut them into small chunks and bait up. Sand shrimp do seem to get other species as well, while the frozen shrimp only seem to catch the perch and greenling.
I get a frozen box of squid or shrimp very inexpensive, especially in any Asian market, some places have it in bulk. To help keep bait from sliding off hooks I've been using bait buttons, keeps plastic baits in place too. Using local free bait works well, while out on the rocks use mussels and little sand crabs or mole shrimp out of the surf.

• R.jpeg.jpg
Last edited:
Reactions: Casting Call