Flasher color choices

F
fish_4_all
I got 2 flashers on clearance and I want to try and retape them. I have already done one in a few different colors for the bright color one but I want to have the other 2 done so I can cover as many situations as I can without having to buy a dozen different ones.

I am thinking a red one and maybe a silver and green one. Any thoughts on what I can do to try and have as many circumstances covered and with just 3 different ones?

Last edited by a moderator:
O
OnTheDrop
Flashers are a joke in my opinion..

That said, most people I know who use them use greens or red/green combo and do well..

That one you got there will get the Acid Trippin' salmon for sure. I dig it.

F
fish_4_all
I can't catch salmon trolling in tidal water with anything so I thought if I made something different I might change my luck. I did get some Brad's super bait cut plugs so maybe that will change my luck.

Steelmonkiller, You prefer trolling tidal water without a flasher/dodger or whatever? Just a herring and/or something else?

Only bite I have ever gotten trolling in tidal water was when I jigged for anchovies/candlefish and put three of them on the hook and trolled while lifting and dropping my pole. They just kinda flopped and swung around. I don't think I was using a flasher then but I don't remember for sure. Salmon hit when the bait almost broke the surface.

O
OnTheDrop
What area are you fishing?

F
fish_4_all
Well, not fishing Oregon although I wish I could some years. I up on the coast near Westport and Ocean shores WA.

C
chad wiest
Flashers have their place and are no joke. I believe in some conditions color matters. Clear water think subtle colors, low vis think brighter ones. Just my thoughts on it.

F
fish_4_all
I know guys that think they are a joke and out fish most people anytime in any condition. I also know some that think they are the bomb and can do the same thing. Confidence matters more and knowing how to rig and fish whatever you use. I just have zero confidence in trolling tidal water period since I have done it close to 30 times and never even gotten a bite when others in the boat catch fish.

Sometimes I think I can only catch fish on what I make, haven't caught a fish on a store bought stock lure in quite a while.

C_Run
C_Run
fish_4_all said:
I know guys that think they are a joke and out fish most people anytime in any condition. I also know some that think they are the bomb and can do the same thing. Confidence matters more and knowing how to rig and fish whatever you use. I just have zero confidence in trolling tidal water period since I have done it close to 30 times and never even gotten a bite when others in the boat catch fish.

Sometimes I think I can only catch fish on what I make, haven't caught a fish on a store bought stock lure in quite a while.

Have you tried a plain spinner? I'm pretty new at it,too. Been doing ok on trolled spinners in the fall.

O
OnTheDrop
fish_4_all said:

A good option would be to hire a well known guide in your area and see what he does when you are out there. Boat speed, quality of bait, tides.. The list goes on of variables to your success in trolling that type of water. Sometimes hiring a guide is a great jumpstart!

F
FishFinger
chad wiest said:
Flashers have their place and are no joke. I believe in some conditions color matters. Clear water think subtle colors, low vis think brighter ones. Just my thoughts on it.

+1
Carry two, one chartreuse and one red/nickle

Last edited: