Personal floatation devices

C
ColoradoTroutMan
Do you wear one when your in your tube or toon?

Reactions: Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Ab-so-freaking-lutely!! :pray: It is a death wish to leave it at home or in the trunk. :doh::doh:

I
idahojeff
I am not sure when the last time I saw a tooner or tuber wear one.....i dont. Not saying you should not...I guess we do it different in Idaho. I mean, we are talking still water, right?

B
bernduffy
Yes I do. I've seen too many unbelievably weird things happen...even in a few feet of water. But I must confess that I wear a combination fishing/PFD vest that has a charged cartridge. So I have to wear it to have my gear handy. That way it's not an inconvenience, its a necessity.

L
Lamzy
In my toon I always have my flotation cushion under my back side of behind my back.
I have only used the boat on Hagg(is) lake, and stay close to shore.
I don't know how really safe this is but until Goodwill has a one large enough for little old me.
KiltedBob

W
wozniasm
Wear mine fishin' 99% of the time. In the event my toons pop, I figure most everything is going down quick and the shock of the water (especially if it's cold) will slow my reactions. Additionally, usually have waders or hip waders on so there's always the possibility that they'll fill with water and start pulling me down.
May not wear it at trillium this weekend since it's so hot but I'll definitely be sittin on it!
Too many stories over the years of folks wishing they had them on. I want to be around for a while at least till i get my first steelhead and salmon!

Reactions: JeannaJigs
W
wozniasm
[QUOTEIt is a death wish to leave it at home or in the trunk. :doh::doh:[/QUOTE]

Also a ticket/fine if you don't have it on you!

Reactions: Raincatcher
J
JeannaJigs
I always wore it on my pontoon because like was said above, pontoons pop. That said...I really SHOULD wear one on the river in my driftboat but the inflatable ones are too spendy right now and forget rowing with an old school vest on. Rowing with Life vests, if you have boobs (or moobs) is just awkward.

So I recommend not following my example, and wearing one.

M
mlw
I got a nice auto inflating one at cabelas for about $90, with improved trigger mechanism (inflates when submerged in 4" water). Not cheap, but good insurance :)
Michael

S
skunk
Yep, I don't care if I can swim or not, accidents happen and I can't recall anyone drowning lately where the report said they had one on. I go home at night period. I've gotten hurt too often doing nothing to think I can't get hurt on the water.

I
idahojeff
I am not saying "Nobody wear a PFD". But there is no still water on the planet that will kill me...I'm just saying. Take it or leave it.

Gunga
Gunga
I always have one on when in a boat!!!!!!!!!!! Everybody should wear one!

R
RunWithSasquatch
I wear mine depending on which river when I am fishing. And I always wear one when I am rafting.

T
TimberTodd
I wear mine whether on moving or still water. Back in the 80s I dumped a canoe on Tenmile creek over on the coast while not wearing one. The water is very slow moving, but I got hung in the weeds and limbs. I think I drank half that creek before getting free. That was the closest I ever want to come to drowning.
Todd

D
donjduck2
I always wear a pfd when i'm out in my toon no matter where i fish or how hot it is,always best to be safe and live to fish another day.besides i float like a rock so i have even more reason to wear one.

T
TimberTodd
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but Tyler you hit 400 posts.

M
Metoman
I don't wear it in my pontoon or float tube, but its always in the boat with me.

S
sherman
I never wear it when on a lake or pond in my toon. If I'm in frog water on the river like yesterday 94* it hangs on the back of my seat. But just before the rapids it's on & mine is also the inflatable with the pull cord. My wife gets a little perturbed with me about it But I tell her my life ins. is paid up. That gets her going.

F
FishFiddle
ALWAYS!! S**T Happens.... Break an oar, pop an oarlock, just one misstep in the boat and.....History, you just made the front page of the Daily news!! Like the guy on the N. Santiam recently that just went to rinse his hands at the boat ramp. Sad!