Bass fishing near Corvallis?

O
oregonbassmaster
Hello everyone. I'm new here and looking forward to being a part of the forum. I'm new to the Corvallis area, recently moved here from the Rogue Valley and I'm looking for some spots to catch some bass. There doesn't seem to be the amount of lakes up here as I'm used to. Hopefully someone can offer some suggestions. I'm looking for as close to Corvallis as possible since I'm a broke college student and gas is expensive, but if you know anywhere else in the general area let me know. Also does anyone have any info about bass on the Willamette? Ive heard theres some small mouths but havent fished it yet.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the best fishing forum west of Boston! We have numerous bass fans on here who will be able to give you good advice, unfortunately, I am not one of them. Until they chime in, I suggest you look into the bass forum archives for a lot of answers to your questions. Good fishing to you and again, welcome aboard!

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF; and to Corvegas. GO BEAVS!

The closest spot, is probably the Kiger Island slough (part of the Willy). SE Kiger Island Drive, is out 3rd St. / Hwy. 99W on the end of town...just past SE Rivergreen. Just park your car/bike, at the 1st bridge that you come to going east. A tube or toon, will help you get back into the slough and the best fishing.

There's also lots of smallies, and some bucketmouths, farther south along the Long Tom River. And even farther, is Fern Ridge Reservoir. Miles and miles of bank access. Good crappie holes, and spots for cats too.

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Unfortunately a lot of the good bass fishing around Corvallis is on private land :(

O
oregonbassmaster
troutdude said:
Welcome to OFF; and to Corvegas. GO BEAVS!

The closest spot, is probably the Kiger Island slough (part of the Willy). SE Kiger Island Drive, is out 3rd St. / Hwy. 99W on the end of town...just past SE Rivergreen. Just park your car/bike, at the 1st bridge that you come to going east. A tube or toon, will help you get back into the slough and the best fishing.

There's also lots of smallies, and some bucketmouths, farther south along the Long Tom River. And even farther, is Fern Ridge Reservoir. Miles and miles of bank access. Good crappie holes, and spots for cats too.

Thanks for the tips I'll defenitely be checking out Kiger Island Slough. Are there large mouths in there? From Google it looks pretty bassy. I've noticed that everything seems to be private around here SiletzTroutKiller, it's a big change from what I'm used to.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Cheadle Lake in Lebanon, Foster Lake in Sweet Home, all of the small rivers, creeks around Corvallis have Smallies in them. Good luck and Go Ducks!!!

troutdude
troutdude
oregonbassmaster said:
Thanks for the tips I'll defenitely be checking out Kiger Island Slough. Are there large mouths in there? From Google it looks pretty bassy. I've noticed that everything seems to be private around here SiletzTroutKiller, it's a big change from what I'm used to.

Yes, there are bucketmouths in the slough. BTW, I forgot to mention Freeway Lakes to the east. You would need a boat, or a toon. But, the third lake (farthest one to the west), holds decent ditch pickles. WORD: Be VERY careful, if you try banking it under/around the I-5 Trestles...there's LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of POISON OAK!!

There is also reportedly some bass, in the pond next to the ODFW building in Adair Village north of Corvegas.

There are also bass in Green Peter Reservoir east--as well as Ollala Res. & Big Creek Res. #1 in Newport.

To the north, there are bass in the sloughs and ponds that, run along South River Rd. in Salem.

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
oregonbassmaster said:

Like you man I'm a college student in Corvallis and I too come from an area with lots of public access to great fishing so I feel your pain. I know of a couple places to catch trout if you're interested but all the places Troutdude and Throbbit_Shane said are your best bet.

troutdude
troutdude
Incidentally, there is an old rock quarry pond on Hwy. 34 between the Corvallis bridges and Peoria Road...on the south side. Do NOT eat any fish, from that pond. There is an old layered, land-fill along the west bank. Saw a bunch of dead 'gills in there, back in the 70's. Never went back.

M
muskieguide
Send me a PM when you get a chance. I know some real good spots in the area along the river where I C&R'd a lot of nice fish the last few years

O
oregonbassmaster
SiletzTroutKiller said:
Like you man I'm a college student in Corvallis and I too come from an area with lots of public access to great fishing so I feel your pain. I know of a couple places to catch trout if you're interested but all the places Troutdude and Throbbit_Shane said are your best bet.

Yeah I'm interested for sure I like to fish for everything. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'm looking forward to fishing these ponds and sloughs and seeing if I can catch some smallies in the rivers and creeks. I'm not really used to that kind of fishing for bass, I'm more used to lakes so I can't wait. Never caughten a bass out of a river and its on my to do list for sure.

O
oregonbassmaster
troutdude said:
Incidentally, there is an old rock quarry pond on Hwy. 34 between the Corvallis bridges and Peoria Road...on the south side. Do NOT eat any fish, from that pond. There is an old layered, land-fill along the west bank. Saw a bunch of dead 'gills in there, back in the 70's. Never went back.

I was under the impression this pond was private property, do you or anyone else know if thats true? I don't eat fish anyway so I dont care about that.

B
billfisher
oregonbassmaster said:
I was under the impression this pond was private property, do you or anyone else know if thats true? I don't eat fish anyway so I dont care about that.

So far, its been open to the public. Its only the one you can see from hwy 34. You can take a kayak from it to a channel out to the Willamette. There are many more ponds back in there that are private. Mostly the gravel company.

O
oregonbassmaster
billfisher said:
So far, its been open to the public. Its only the one you can see from hwy 34. You can take a kayak from it to a channel out to the Willamette. There are many more ponds back in there that are private. Mostly the gravel company.

Ok good to know i'll go see if I can catch some fish there, thanks.

R
Rain
that pond by hwy 34 and all other ones near it are privately owned by Knife River (formerly Morse Bothers). Morse Bothers used to let people fish out there but since they have become Knife River, their current stance is they dont want anybody on that property, including no fishing. they put up several permanent-looking no trespassing signs about 2 years ago.

troutdude
troutdude
Maybe we are talking about a different pond. This one, is along the east side of a short gravel road called Ireland Lane. Between Ireland and the pond, is where the old landfill is located. I see peeps fish it all of the time; along the north shore (Hwy. 34 side). Maybe they are trespassing?

But, a small finger of the Willamette does go along the east side of the pond. You would have take out, hop over a small piece of land, to put into that slough. But, it probably could be done.

F
fordhamr
troutdude said:
Maybe we are talking about a different pond. This one, is along the east side of a short gravel road called Ireland Lane. Between Ireland and the pond, is where the old landfill is located. I see peeps fish it all of the time; along the north shore (Hwy. 34 side). Maybe they are trespassing?

But, a small finger of the Willamette does go along the east side of the pond. You would have take out, hop over a small piece of land, to put into that slough. But, it probably could be done.

I have recently been going out to this this pond and it seems to be a pretty popular place! The first couple times we were able to get into the finger of the Willamette that runs next to the pond because the water was higher. Now that its lower we cannot fit the 12' boat through there and have been fishing just the pond. Have heard of people pulling out bass and have seen them in there but havent caught any. Lots of squawfish in there and people have caught carp.

Anyone have some good suggestions on what to use to catch the bass? We have tried worms, plugs, sinkos and spoons! Any suggestions for line/lure setup would be much appreciated!

Happy Fishing!