Great weekend on the Clack

L
Longleaderguy
I went and fished below faraday today and saturday had great day on sat I went 7-10 all late springers few bright ones lots of boot:dance::dance:s .today I went 0-5 lotta work fighting them biguns, gonna take the girlfriend s dad next weekend and put him onto his first salmon all and all had great weekend c&r big fish.......good luck and tight lines...........

P.s.. I saw a few people limiting out on steelhead too:clap:

F
Fish-N-Chips
:clap::clap: Nice bro...welcome to OFF. Glad to hear the clack and surrounding area still producing. I just got back from swimming at clackamette park with the family. Talked to one guy who lost one plunking a spin-n-glo. Gotta love Oregon:D

T
troutsider-natural
Definitely a nice weekend. What type of fishing were you doing (fly, bait)?

D
Drew9870
troutsider-natural said:
Definitely a nice weekend. What type of fishing were you doing (fly, bait)?

Longleaderguy almost sounds like a giveaway, but maybe I'm just making assumptions. 7/10 Springers sounds like an awesome day.

L
Longleaderguy
I drifted corkys .......eggs.......threw spinners drifted a jig N bobber but had best result with the corky s :whistle::whheistle::whistle:

W
waco
Are you really a long leader guy??

L
Longleaderguy
Lol sometimes mang.......

B
bigsteel
salmon love 12foot leaders and corkies:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

D
Drew9870
I love it when people say they were just loving the Green ones :lol:, people actually believe they eat them.

B
beaverfan
Drew9870 said:
I love it when people say they were just loving the Green ones :lol:, people actually believe they eat them.

They do, seen it many times.

D
Drew9870
Unless that was sarcastic, I am mainly talking about when people are using a 5ft+ leader, I have heard from people on ''the dark side'' that Salmon will actually eat Corkies and Flies, but I understand this is a very rare and unlikely occasion, if it weren't, there would be no reason to floss.

Buy hey, I'll admit I've been there and got through that phase, I've honestly only foul-hooked 1-2 fish while flossing, one was a dinky Summer Steelhead on the Sandy (there is an actual technique to not foul hooking), all the others were Chinooks (maybe caught 15-18 with this method). If I feel I have to floss an area nowadays, I find a new place to fish, I'd rather toss a Spinner, Plunk, or Drift Eggs/Herring, maybe run a Qwikfish if conditions allow.

Last edited:
B
Bigfish3
I have one question, how do you get down there?

L
Longleaderguy
Good for you drew......i on the other can only afford corkys ,hooks an leader line ........so I makes due....

D
Drew9870
Good for you drew? I was commenting (in a friendly manner) on Beaverfan's post. As far as flossing goes, do what you gotta do, I personally don't have a problem with flossing as long as people know how to do it and don't just set at the end of every drift, people who set at the end of every drift seem like they don't care where the hook ends up, there is a legit way to successful flossing.

Pin your corky down with a toothpick and lock in about a dime size chunk of eggs, oh, and shorten your leader when you do so :D, that way you can actually feel a bite.

I personally gave up flossing because I hate looking like ''one of those guys'' in well-known gigging holes.

Last edited:
L
Longleaderguy
One of those guys....? Lol never had that feeling before .....i agree but leader length will vary depending on conditions 3-8 foot any longer and you can't cast it unless you got a 12 foot rod btw ......i wasn't making a personal attack.....

L
Longleaderguy
Gigging??whats that..... I think I had a buddy say something to me about the inthedians gigging salmon on skokomish river in hood canal

D
Drew9870
When I say ''one of those guys'' I mean, flossing a fish is not fooling it, it is snagging, a lot of us hear snagging and automatically think hooked in the ass, but snagging is forcing a hook into a fish, therefore, forcing a hook into the fishes mouth, is snagging. P.S. You can cast an 18ft leader with a 4ft rod, as long as the weight is above the hook.

So by not being ''one of those guys'', I would be the one trying to actually fool/coax the fish into eating, you gotta realized flossing is not considered sport fishing, it is used by those who are just desperate to catch a fish and bring home meat, but I can tell from your recent thread regarding the Salmon you gave away, that you are not a meat fisherman. I am not really taking a side as I am not against you, but some people just don't appreciate fishermen that feel as though they have to force feed the fish, I can tell you that a certain hole on a certain river around Hebo can only produce Chinooks by flossing due to the water conditions, but I avoid going there because I know in Oregon there exists water where the Salmon will feed/become agitated.

D
Drew9870
Gigging = Snagging (Refer to last post regarding small definition for snagging).

Or if one wants to get all technical and crap, it is technically harpooning/spearing.