What hooks do you use?

hobster
hobster
Just curious as to what size hooks you all use and what brand for steelhead fishing. I used to use size 2 only, but I switched to #1's for winter and I like em more. Seems I loose less fish and 2's aren't necessary in less clear water, I have buddies that only use 1's in summer and have plenty of success. I might even use 1/0 in murky water.
I usually get Gamagatsu's on sale at Bi Mart then switched to Owners, they are cheaper and sharper. I've used Brads too, but unless I'm fishing a bunch I figure i'll get the higher end ones. Howz about you?

S
steelie_killa
I use size 4 for the summers n 2 for winter never have a problem with losing fish...but i do occationally switch up one size if the river flow is fast.

S
SteelyDan's
I tend to use size 2's, mostly 4's for side drifting and drifting from the bank. My jigs vary between 1's and 4's. I like owner's myself but am not opposed to using Gamagatsu or Brad's.

hobster
hobster
Size 4's ,wow. I have some glo bugs I tied up with 4's but that's about it. I also shoulda mentioned I was using larger size corkies with the size 2's and I think I might have lost some fish because the hook was too small for the corkie and didn't hook them good enough when they bit it.

T
Tacomasteelheader
i like the owner side drifting hooks have never had a problem with either size 2 or 4 and we have landed 3 that i know were all over 18 pound steelhead and kept fishing with that same size 4 the rest of the day no problem. good hooks.

H
halibuthitman
Mustad size 4

T
TimberTodd
Owner size 2 & 4

D
DYJ
1 or 2 gamis in the winter. 4's in the summer. Of course, that could change in the different water condition.

S
steelhead_stalkers
2, 4 and 6 Trokars! Size 1 if the water is high.

hobster
hobster
Those trokars look pretty sweet, checked them out online. No west coast dealers though, I might have to order a few.

F
Finz
Owner needle point, size 1 for yarn balls, 1/0 with corky.
I don't think steelhead are hook shy, and if you hook a 15lb fish you will feel better knowing you have a good hookset.

J
JeannaJigs
I use 2's with beads, 1 and 1/0 for everything else. Owner's. Always. The only Gamakatsu hooks I use at all anymore are the big river series, and I only use those for giant globs of eggs under a float for Chinook.

D
DirectDrive
4's and 2's.....Owner Cutting Point for driftfishing.
Mustad Open Eye Siwash #10848BLN in size 1 for steelhead, weighted casting spinners.
A wicked-good hook for that application.

Sportco in Fife (Tacoma) has the best price that I can find on these.

E
eugene1
1/0 or 2/0 owner for summer steel. Maybe some 1's for winters side drifting.

Go big or...

D
DirectDrive
eugene1 said:
1/0 or 2/0 owner for summer steel. Maybe some 1's for winters side drifting.

Go big or...
I have a friend who can't believe that I can ketch those beeg feesh on those leetle hooks !

:)

E
eugene1
Good point, DD!

I know smaller ones work well, but I can/could use the same setups for nooks. I'm pretty cheap like that.

Best,

DirectDrive said:
I have a friend who can't believe that I can ketch those beeg feesh on those leetle hooks !

:)

hobster
hobster
Just a heads up, Owner hooks on sale at BiMart - 20% OFF.

G
grizzlynitemare
What hooks do you use?

I haven't really gotten into having my own steelhead gear, but I have always used Mustad hooks. When I start buying my own gear for steelies, I will be continuing that trend.

R
rippin fish lips
I use owner hooks and owner hooks only usually. If I feel I'm losing fish because I feel the hook just isn't setting in, I'll switch quick and use the mustad hooks. They are sharper, thinner and have faster penetration but also strait in easer when using 4s, 6s, 2s and 1s. But then again I run 8lb and 10lb leaders with some of the strongest leader line u can get. Basically I use owners 90% of the time and the other 10% I will use mustad. I usually only fish. 2s and 1s for steel. You got to remember, these fish are not line shy or hook shy when they get in. And steelhead, their mouths, really are not that small!