Over fished?

G
goatsafari
Admittedly this is not my favorite place to fish but I have a 6 year old and a 3 year old and we live in South Salem so for those reasons this place makes a ton of sense to fish at. I took them quite a bit last summer while I was finishing up school and so we were able to go on days during the week. We typically caught three plus fish every time in those summer months.

Now that I work M-F I can only take them on the weekends. We tried a few weeks ago after it was stocked per ODFW's site and then again today. Skunked both times. It doesn't bother me a ton yet because it's more about the time we're all spending together, but if we continue to get squadoosh then I'm worried the kids may start to develop an apathetic approach to the idea of fishing.

So I really have two different questions. First, the few times we do go to this pond I see the same people there every time and these are the same people I was seeing back in the summer. Are there really that many people that essentially camp ponds like this and basically fish it out between Wednesday and Friday? (If so, I think that's irritating and wrong for a few reasons but that's just my personal opinion)

I also started to wonder if I'm actually doing it right though. I never really have fished much in the colder winter months so I'm wondering how I should approach Walter Wirth during these months as opposed to the summer months. Does my bait stay the same? The high water level throws me off too because I know that with the stocked fish that generally you don't have to cast that far from the bank so when the water is as high as it is now I'm not entirely sure where to be aiming for. If it's not completely overfished then I think i'm just looking for some general help with winter trout fishing for these stocked fish.

Thanks for your time and consideration, I appreciate it as will my kids when we finally get out of this slump.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
You're right about folks camping out there, but it isn't just Wed - Fri. WW is very popular with the homeless population in the area. There are restrooms across the bridge in the park for them to use and they can go to Walmart at night when the police come through. Some camp out in the bushes by the creek during better weather. Unfortunately, the only alternative I know of in the area is Walling Pond, which is not really child appropriate with all the syringes and feces around. Maybe another member can guide you to a better pond/park for you and your children...(Minto Brown?)
Good fishing to you and the kiddies, be safe. :)

troutdude
troutdude
Sending a PM, with alternative ideas. WW is a dive, IMO.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
troutdude said:
Sending a PM, with alternative ideas. WW is a dive, IMO.
Not sharing? There are others who may benefit from knowing where they can safely take children. But if you want to keep secrets...

C
chrisohm
Raincatcher said:
Not sharing? There are others who may benefit from knowing where they can safely take children. But if you want to keep secrets...

x2 on that!!!

Fishing in Salem is the pits....you could do St. Louis Ponds but it is the same.....go to Detroit Lake, tons of fish, plenty of bank spots and a great place for a picnic. Some of the grouse out there are fat too....

bass
bass
I have been to WW twice, once to fish in January (caught about 10 hold overs) and once to paddle the Nucanoe Frontier I had just bought in Salem. Both times I found it to be a nice place, but neither time was near a stocking. I am always surprised to read about folks being so down on the place.

R
rainORsnow1
Bingo! Take a bit of a drive where the scum can't get too. Detroit is a great idea. Dexter is another option.

I just hate it when people feel it's ok to ruin it for everyone else! Especially kids!

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
I've never fished WW but I have fished Walling because my mom's house it close bye. I didn't catch a thing and it was pretty dirty when it came to trash and what not but pretty much any place where you can either fish from your car, or the car is a short walk is usually trashed. As for the tactics thing I've successfully caught trout in simmer/winter/spring all on powerbait and spinners, you just really got to get on the fish

R
rainORsnow1
To add another option, they will be stocking green peter on the 7th of April.

K
Knot Fishing Sober
I love pulling up to lakes like that and limiting out in front of the home town hobos. I used to deal with the same crap in so cal. Guys would find the hot spot and call a handfull of their buddies to hurry over. Meanwhile a guy 30 yards away was getting skunked with his kids. Only a jerk wouldn't offer to let the kids reel in a fish or two and make sure those kids were rigged up to succeed. Better luck next time. My in laws live in south Salem and I could bring my kids down on a weekend and hopefully help you find some fish!

Last edited:
SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Knot Fishing Sober, been in the same situation brother. It sucks

M
mikeee2362
Knot Fishing Sober said:
I love pulling up to lakes like that and limiting out in front of the home town hobos. I used to deal with the same crap in so cal. Guys would find the hot spot and call a handfull of their buddies to hurry over. Meanwhile a guy 30 yards away was getting skunked with his kids. Only a jerk wouldn't offer to let the kids reel in a fish or two and make sure those kids were rigged up to succeed. Better luck next time. My in laws live in south Salem and I could bring my kids down on a weekend and hopefully help you find some fish!

I'm totally with you KFS, always treat it as a "take a kid fishing day" if there is a kid around...you will be surprised at how much of a charge it is to hand off your pole to a kid that has never landed a fish...it's better than landing it yourself!!

troutdude
troutdude
You guys rock! I do the same.

I was knockin' 'em senseless last year, at Big Creek Reservoir. A mom, and her 2 little girls, were fishing next to me--and getting nothing. So, I had 'em step into my spot and use my rods. Bam, bam, bam. In about a half hour, they had their limits--and smile's from ear to ear. TOTALLY made my day!

This is one of the main reasons that, I like "social fishing".

B
Bobby1980
Okay i am new to the site as for posting. Ive come here past 2 years and read some posts but now ive joined. Not went fishing at walter worth with the kids for a while now but when we did i believe just over a year ago we got skunked a few times and learned Specific locations that did better than others there. Ya know where boats launch? Then to the right is the dock....well just right of the boat launch was a good spot when i last fished along with Waaay right of the dock just past the Corner. Where the Cement block spot out of water is. Those places have been the best for the kids and I. Power bait is what we have used but going in the way back we have used worms and caught some catfish i think bullheads. Might try taking the kids soon since they dont need a license need to get back out there and get em fishing again :)
Chartreuse Colors are what they like the most never tried Eggs. good luck hope the kids get to catch some fish :D