Redington dually spey rod

S
schwinndigley
Long story short i when out fishing with my brand new redington dually 7wt, 22' rio skagit max and gripshooter running line. I cast to a decent riffle here on the Mollalla for about two hours till day light waned and then started heading back. Then, last-cast-itus started in and i spotted some good steelhead water. Still rigged up, I started paying out some line and began stripping with my left hand through the last guide, while holding the rod with my right hand on the grip as I have been stripping out line to make casts like this for years. At the time, I had very little drag at the time, as i was stripping out line the rod snapped about three inches up from the last joint near the tip. $250 later and unsatisfied.

The rod doesn't load very deep either and has a very fast action. it is very difficult to "feel" the rod loading, all in all i'm disappointed and will be asking for my money back to put against a Rajeff 7 wt spey rod.

effing weak.

R
_RJ_
It happens. I drove to the Deschutes, hiked 4-5 miles and my Echo TR snapped in half first cast. I drove straight to rajeff sports and tim took care of me. He said he's never seen a break like that in his rod before. After the new rod he gave me I never had a single problem. Great guy and great rods.

M
Modest_Man
Spey fishing the Molalla huh? You must really be optimistic.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Let us know what was done about the refund thing from where you bought it or what redding will honer for the warrenty? Why did you buy it if the rod did'nt load as deep as you wanted and you couldn't feel the bite? Spey rod to fly is a long way off, you see the bite before you feel it. GL Tony

S
schwinndigley
_RJ_ said:
It happens. I drove to the Deschutes, hiked 4-5 miles and my Echo TR snapped in half first cast. I drove straight to rajeff sports and tim took care of me. He said he's never seen a break like that in his rod before. After the new rod he gave me I never had a single problem. Great guy and great rods.

How ironic, my intent with the redington was to do just that: A 5 mile hike-in with my friend this march, good thing i test my gear. what else is funny, i just bought a Echo TR today because i didn't like the redington. Hopefully my Echo TR doesn't grenade like yours did lol. I'm going fishing tomorrow morning looking forward to it.

S
schwinndigley
You know something I don't know?

There are fish in the river, granted no hatchery fish, and not a huge amount either, but, there are fish in the river. The river is under 5mi away and I can fish it every day after work. As most people know, half the battle when it comes to catching steelhead is finding the time. The slight scarcity of fish, the convenience factor, and the fact i don't have to go shoulder to shoulder with forty other blow hards in contention for river space makes it a good choice for me. There are tons of tactics, and presentations when it comes to spey casting. Besides, being optimistic is practically a requirement for fishing anyway, isn't it?

S
schwinndigley
Have you ever fished the mollala?

S
schwinndigley
I returned it to Fishermans Marine and Outdoor and it was sent for warranty, when it is returned to either me or them i will be refunded the money from the purchase. So it swings on whether redington wil honor the warranty as you have said, i will let all of you know. I have heard they are good about warranty work.

I did not have the opportunity to cast the rod before i purchased it, and being new to spey casting i wasn't sure what characteristics would be good for me, but i got it all figured out now.

M
Modest_Man
I fish the Molalla all the time, but I don't plan on catching anything. Especially when I bring the spey. Sometimes I get lucky, but not often. So far this year there are about 850 winter fish over the falls. About 1/3rd hit up the Molalla. That means there are less than 300 steelhead spread out through the whole river. Willamette Falls counts for the year so far are about 35% of the 10 year average.

I was out there today, there is a transient camp that's new this year upstream of the 211 bridge. Tons of garbage.

S
schwinndigley
Modest_Man said:
I fish the Molalla all the time, but I don't plan on catching anything. Especially when I bring the spey. Sometimes I get lucky, but not often. So far this year there are about 850 winter fish over the falls. About 1/3rd hit up the Molalla. That means there are less than 300 steelhead spread out through the whole river. Willamette Falls counts for the year so far are about 35% of the 10 year average.

I was out there today, there is a transient camp that's new this year upstream of the 211 bridge. Tons of garbage.

I know about the counts and the 1/3 rule, but i wasn't aware the run was down this year, that kinda sucks. The odds are slim but i'm undeterred. I fished the wilson for winters most of 2012, I saw countless fish and still didn't catch any, at least not steelhead haha. The Mollala has tons of garbage all over the place, super disappointing, i don't even leave leader on the ground i pack it all out. People just trash it and are total slobs sometimes, its really frustrating.

might have to check out the 211 bridge, is there decent access?

M
Modest_Man
Access is okay, pretty much just one fishable run.

S
schwinndigley
Well iv'e fished it some more and still no luck but getting in some good training at least. Still haven't checked the 211 bridge I've been hitting the knights bridge run from the put in up to the second tail-out.

I looked at the historical fish counts. It seems like the majority of the run hasn't come over willamette falls, and that the mollala run is more of a "springer" run than a winter run. As if maybe these fish are pushing through toward the tail end of the season. want to weigh in on that?

M
Modest_Man
Mid way is usually end of Feb to mid March. There are fish in the system through April and into May. I keep hoping for a week or so of 100+ fish passed the falls, then fish the Molalla 5-7 days after you see that for the best shot at actually catching a Molalla steelhead.

The most popular spey run is called the cedars, it's up above Feyrer Park a bit off of Dickie Prairie road.

S
schwinndigley
Thats good to know definitely, about the cedars, i think i may have actually heard of that. Maybe i'll go fish that tomorrow. I was thinking i might mash up to the wilson tomorrow since the run is in full swing there, but lack of funds may dictate otherwise.

Ive been hoping for those +100 plus counts too but they just haven't shown, wish they'd hurry up. :)

S
schwinndigley
I just checked the counts, and it looks like they are starting to move again after that blow out we had. Which is good...finally

M
Modest_Man
As soon as it drops into shape I'll be out there. Looking like it's going to be next weekend from the predicted flow. Counts are picking up for sure.