Turkey hunting etiquette question

B
brotherjesse
Hello everyone,
My name is Jesse,and need some guidance on how to ask a private land owner for permission to hunt on their land. I am a Disabled Veteran and don't have the knees to offer physical help, just financial. How would one approach this situation? Do you show up with cash and say " let's make a deal"?

Thank you

H
halibuthitman
No, a lot of property owners, farmers in particular are offended when someone thinks they can just buy their way onto the property. Start with small talk and explain your situation and make sure they know that you realize giving you permission is just that, and that you will not bring any un-approved guests who might just decide to return since "you" brought them there. Dont play the money card until you realize its the only thing that will. The veteran status will open more gates than money, my dad is a vietnam veteran and i cannot believe the doors that has opened. Be polite, make small talk.. Your not just trying to gain access, you want to gain a friend. If he says no anyway.. Tresspass and shoot all his cows.. Kidding of course... Maybe..

18406ej
18406ej
Wild turkeys are becoming such a problem in local agriculture that landowners might pay YOU for your extermination services.

Welcome to OFF,

Eamon

B
brotherjesse
I don't know if I would shoot his cow's maybe show the puppy dog eyes that get me out of trouble with my wife! I appriciate all your feed back you guys, thank you. I will ask a few farmers in Yamhill county and see!

F
fishtales
I would say.. get out and hunt. Get to know people who hunt, unless you are all about turkey, then keep trying to gain access to land and hunt turkey.

You might be surprised by how many hunters there are who want the same thing you are after. For me, in my youth, its about getting out away from the every day grind. Hunting fishing, finding someone with access to good grounds is just a plus. Just today I tried to get access to private land. Instead of a yes I got do you want to buy a cow in June. :)