On the water rise

G
guzer988
Do steelhead bite on the rise of the river. My friend ,which i believe says fishing is better when the water is dropping? Any advise?

S
SteelyDan's
They do but seems to be less than when the river is dropping from my experience.

W
waco
They bite no matter what!! Finding them is another story!! Good luck!

G
guzer988
thanks, my river is +2000 cfs im going to try in the morning , im a clear 1000cfs fisherman but hey ..i got more time than money...hehe........no bait allowed ;)

O
OnTheDrop
guzer988 said:
thanks, my river is +2000 cfs im going to try in the morning , im a clear 1000cfs fisherman but hey ..i got more time than money...hehe........no bait allowed ;)

Up your presentation and fish closer to the bank...They will hug the shoreline in places you might of been standing on before the water was up..

F
FishFinger
Steelhead "bite" while on the move. Rising water spurs up river movement. The trick as Waco mentioned is finding them. Keep in mind Steelhead will seek marginal placement off / out of the current as an energy saving tactic.

Good luck

D
DrTheopolis
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Up your presentation and fish closer to the bank...They will hug the shoreline in places you might of been standing on before the water was up..

What he said... depending on the level, of course. If it's rising from bone-dry, maybe not so much.

Very general rule -- low water, fish the channels/seams. High water, fish the edges.

Big shiny spinner along the bank can be a killer in high water. Especially with all the fresh snowmelt, which is going to make for very cold water temps. The colder the water, the bigger the presentation (depending on water clarity).

E
eat, sleep, fish
They generally bite better when the river is falling, but every once in awhile you can have an epic day when it's on the rise. You just have to be in the path of the school as they move upriver.