Steelhead and what is working for me

H
halibuthitman
It's been a tough season, and a heck of a season to start guiding. Too many days I've had to make excuses for a blank day, it's very disappointing for me.. And probably much more for the poor souls who handed me their money. I've been leaning on the bead for success, and its been failing me, not to mention beading isn't actually fly fishing steelhead at all. About two weeks ago I started toying with nymph double rigs and I think I have mated the perfect low water pair. A ***** creek nymph followed by a teeny nymph appears to be the cure to this seasons ailments, 8 lb fluoro between them and a drag presentation has produced 4 days of 6+ takedowns.. The best I've seen this year, so if you are struggling when this water drops back down to low and clear... Give em a shot- Brad

Reactions: pinkygonzales
H
halibuthitman
The five asterixs mean beotch ... Worst fly to name on a forum!!!

T
TimberTodd
Thanks for the info Brad. When rigging a double fly do you generally tie your upper fly directly to the leader or do you tie it off of the tag end of the knot attaching your tippet to your leader?

O
OnTheDrop
Saw a video of this on a certain creek up north.. Gunna have to give the rig up a go.

Thanks,

M
Mad dog
Sounds like summer steelhead fishing! :thumb:

S
steelhead_stalkers
We do well with a micro egg pattern above a hairs ear on one of our favorite little steelhead rivers. Very deadly.

H
halibuthitman
TimberTodd said:
Thanks for the info Brad. When rigging a double fly do you generally tie your upper fly directly to the leader or do you tie it off of the tag end of the knot attaching your tippet to your leader?

I tie it all in-line, 1st fly to the leader then the second fly off that fly tied to the bend of the hook. The nymph im using is s jim teeny nymph-

T
TimberTodd
halibuthitman said:
I tie it all in-line, 1st fly to the leader then the second fly off that fly tied to the bend of the hook. The nymph im using is s jim teeny nymph-

Thanks.

F
FlyBum
Damn... How did you con people into giving you money to take them fishing... SUCKERS! :thumb:

H
halibuthitman
FlyBum said:
Damn... How did you con people into giving you money to take them fishing... SUCKERS! :thumb:

Ones born every minute, and if you look around the room and can't find the sucker in 5 minutes.... It's you-:harhar:

F
FlyBum
Was wondering how long it would take you to jump on this, quicker then a fat kid on a cupcake... Cupcake! You must have some of that good KoolAid layin around still... So I guess with the beading, you can still teach them how to FLOSS like a dentist!

H
halibuthitman
FlyBum said:
Was wondering how long it would take you to jump on this, quicker then a fat kid on a cupcake... Cupcake! You must have some of that good KoolAid layin around still... So I guess with the beading, you can still teach them how to FLOSS like a dentist!

Damn beads arent working.. Have to actually fly fish.. Man that's hard, it's really hard to get roe to stay on a size 4 hook on the back cast... I think the pencil leads knocking it off.. And I had a red velvet cupcake with cream cheese frosting and sprinkles 25 minutes ago-

F
FlyBum
Ya, that's why I like to use shrimp... it stays on the hook better! I also like to use some slinky weights with a McFly Egg attached with some floatant to keep it off the bottom.... Now to try and combine the Floatant with the Smelly Jelly

H
halibuthitman
FlyBum said:
Ya, that's why I like to use shrimp... it stays on the hook better! I also like to use some slinky weights with a McFly Egg attached with some floatant to keep it off the bottom.... Now to try and combine the Floatant with the Smelly Jelly

Don't you use line speed as aftershave? A 1'' x 1" piece of foam pipe insulation will fix that low rider problem on the mc fly and smelly jelly, but I suggest you switch to pautzkis nectar... It's the shizzle!!

F
FlyBum
Fo Shizzle! We'll get some Hott Shotts and some Flyagra XXX and go to town. We'll MAKE IT RAIN! :stupid:

H
halibuthitman
Drop bombs *****!

F
FlyBum
Oh, snap! Nothing like the Pink Worm though... but sometimes they only taste the tip and don't swallow the whole thing! Maybe some of our patrons here have some tips on swallowing... :lol:

H
halibuthitman
I'm gonna go get another cup cake-

F
FlyBum
Word!

F
FlyBum
Thanks for a great Saturday chasing the Grey Ghost! Please accept my first born daughter as a token of my gratitude!