? Dabney to Lewis & Clark

T
the rookie
my question is would it be safe to float from dabney to lewis&clark targeting winter steelhead in my 6man sevylor fish N hunter raft ?

D
DirectDrive
the rookie said:
my question is would it be safe to float from dabney to lewis&clark targeting winter steelhead in my 6man sevylor fish N hunter raft ?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
^^^Exactly what DD said^^^

D
DrTheopolis
^^^Exactly what Raincatcher said^^^

Do it in summer with low flows.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I had no idea of what type of craft that is so I looked it up. The folks who have already posted above have it right. That raft would be good in the summer when the water is warm. Heck in the summer in warm water you can do that strech in an intertube. In winter with cold water and unknow stuff floating in the river it would not be a good idea. Now this advise is coming from someone who on Jan 1, 1966 floaded from Carter Bridge to Promotory park in a WW2 surplus rubber raft!
It was a dumb idea.:blushing:

D
DrTheopolis
Irishrover said:
Now this advise is coming from someone who on Jan 1, 1966 floaded from Carter Bridge to Promotory park in a WW2 surplus rubber raft!
It was a dumb idea

No one died? I might do that - in a dry suit and a drunken stupor. But once you make it through Carter Falls, you have confidence that you might survive.

I actually did that float in the exact raft Rookie speaks of... in July. It was the last time that raft ever floated. Blood was spilled by everyone on board. Good times.

D
DirectDrive
May 1975 where the Collowash and Oak Grove forks combine to form the mainstem Clackamas.
I waded across the Collowash to fish the Clackamas from the south side.
Two guys in a rubber duck (light duty raft) come be-bopping down from the Collowash and hit a standing wave.
The guy in the back gets dumped out and sucked down....he was gone for a looong time.
I thought he had drowned, he was down for so long.

Just me and an older guy on my side of the river.
Charlie finally popped up and got spit out of the big hole.
He's still alive and going down the rapid.
I'm running through the forest trying to keep up with him.
Finally he got hung up on a snag and I was able to pull him out.
He was red as a lobster and vomiting as he recovered.

Monkeying around with a rubber duck when the river is cold is risky.
Spring is the most dangerous time because even though the air temp might be warm, the river is still cold enough to kill.
Use proper gear.

Irishrover
Irishrover
DrTheopolis said:
No one died? I might do that - in a dry suit and a drunken stupor. But once you make it through Carter Falls, you have confidence that you might survive.

I actually did that float in the exact raft Rookie speaks of... in July. It was the last time that raft ever floated. Blood was spilled by everyone on board. Good times.

We were young had no fear and no brains. We had the old style wetsuits on. I have so much more respect for the water and what can kill you now than I did then.

D
DrTheopolis
DirectDrive said:
where the Collowash and Oak Grove forks combine to form the mainstem Clackamas.

Actually, the Oak Grove Fork confluence is a long way downstream from there. Near Ripplebrook RS and Three Lynx.

That little tiny creek that dumps into the Collawash is actually the mainstem Clackamas. I always figured someone really screwed up when the were originally mapping it.

Back in the Old Days when they let the summer runs through the dams (or trucked them up), that was some good fishing. The confluence, and the lower couple of miles of the Collawash. Long drive up, but fishing for summers in the snow was a hoot. Used to always be a bunch of bears up around there.

D
DirectDrive
DrTheopolis said:
Actually, the Oak Grove Fork confluence is a long way downstream from there. Near Ripplebrook RS and Three Lynx.

That little tiny creek that dumps into the Collawash is actually the mainstem Clackamas. I always figured someone really screwed up when the were originally mapping it.

Back in the Old Days when they let the summer runs through the dams (or trucked them up), that was some good fishing. The confluence, and the lower couple of miles of the Collawash. Long drive up, but fishing for summers in the snow was a hoot. Used to always be a bunch of bears up around there.
I could have sworn that they had that marked as a fork of the Clack on a road sign, there.
Perhaps not.
Fond memories of my first tangles with Mr. Big up there.