Looking for steep slope beach for redtail perch

PK Yi
PK Yi
a lot of the surft perch fishing videos I see on youtube recommend a steep slope beach. I've been fishing on the beach from coos bay up to lincoln city, but I don't remember seeing any steep slope beaches. they're all flat for miles, which aren't ideal for surf perch fishing.

anyone know/recommend a beach that's steep where the surf breaks near shore?

thx. :worthy:

S
skunk
Not exactly. But I have seen them hurt the perch good just south of seaside, on the seaside beach. Just before the rocky outcropping starts.

H
hydropsyche
I have triedto case change them a few times on the fly rod around yahachets and waldport no dice but the dude at the fly shop in the motel swears you can catch em around there. We did good as kids in March around the docks with worms. Surf perch don't lay eggs so they were full of tiny perch in there bellies around March. That to me means they should be close to shore and around bays this time of year.I have never thought about perching when steelhead are in so you might be on to something.

H
hydropsyche
As an after thought the beach line below Pacific city is quite steep around Bob straub state park also below the mouth of the siletz around below Lincoln city has some solid deep trehes. Good luck hope you get some!!

B
billfisher
Just North of Fogarty beach there is a Thriftway store. Turn there onto willow st. there is a couple of little spots to park at the end if your lucky.

Reactions: Combat Chuck
L
LittleGoat
My best success with an unmistakably steep beach was down in Port Orford. My father and I caught 16 in a hour and not a single one was more than 16 feet from where the waves washed out. I've always figured that Fogerty Creek would be good for redtails, but I've only caught striped perch near fisherman's rock.

B
BushTucka
Can you catch these guys in estuaries on tidal flats? :)
Or just in the surf?

C_Run
C_Run
BushTucka said:
Can you catch these guys in estuaries on tidal flats? :)
Or just in the surf?

They occur in bays, probably on the bigger rivers. I'd suggest concentrating on the beaches, though. When is your trip? I can give you some locations in southern Oregon for perch fishing.

S
SailCat
Steep beaches occur everywhere on the Oregon coast. Just do some scouting at low tide or watch where waves break closer to the sandy beach, indicating a steeper slope or a hole where redtails will feed. I've had good luck north of Rockaway. at Oceanside, off the beach at the mouth of Siletz Bay and near Newport.

The only bay that I'm aware of where redails or pinkfin enter is Winchester where they run every year to spawn (as they are doing currently). You'll catch striped, walleye or pile perch inside bays but none of these compare the the surf perch for table quality IMHO.