Steelhead fishermen

F
flytrekker1007
So I've noticed this for quite sometime now. There seems to be a stereotype placed on fly fishermen and gear fishermen. If your a fly fisherman you must drink micro brews, have a beard, puffy patagonia coat, and worship wild fish. If your a gear fisherman you must bonk anything you drag onto the rocks, fish with eggs, and only fish where 50 other people are. Have you ever floated down the river and seen another gear fisherman and asked, "how many fish?" Of course you have. Have ever seen a guy swinging flies and asked "how many fish?" Not as much. Its like theres a grudge between fly fishermen and gear fishermen. I swing flies and gear fish. I started out just gear fishing but found a love for fly fishing for steelhead as well. Fly fishing is just another form of fishing, not a persons status. No fly fisherman or gear fisherman is better than the other. If a guy wants to swing flies thats awesome. Does that mean he's a wild fish tree hugging purist? No. Steelhead fishermen need to remember that we are all here to catch fish. I'm not a fly fisherman or a gear fisherman, I'm a steelhead fisherman.

Reactions: FlyBum
E
eugene1
Good points there!

I've noticed each group (fly or gear) is more friendly towards their own kind. But in general if you show respect to anyone, they will be more likely to give it back.

However, lots of people drink micros: fly, gear, and even non fishers. I guess some of us can agree on a tasty brew at least!

Best,

F
flytrekker1007
Ya I was being stereotypical about the beer. If you watch a lot of fly movies they usually drink micro brews. The big picture here is no group is better then the other.

hobster
hobster
^^^ Agreed. I do both and love em both also, and love micros! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm beer :)

D
DirectDrive
I have personally witnessed gear fisherman swinging and drinking micro brews.
I have even seen them wearing Simms and Patagonia gear whilst doing the above.
The nerve.

What's next, gear fisherman wearing ascots ?

O
OnTheDrop
I do both. From March-August you can't find me without a fly rod near by.

I also don't drink any beer that has the word "Light" after it. Lol

H
halibuthitman
Im crappy no matter what rods in my hand.. And im partial to miller high life, Jameson, and red bull rather than rock star, i each red meat off the bbq... And my fish out of a fryer.. Murica-

M
mosd
funny thing, I work for a fly tying material company but would rather toss the gear due to the fact I catch more fish. the only time I do fly floss is down in tidewater on the elk river

Reactions: eugene1 and halibuthitman
E
eugene1
Lol!

mosd said:
funny thing, i work for a fly tying material company but would rather toss the gear due to the fact i catch more fish. The only time i do fly floss is down in tidewater on the elk river

H
halibuthitman
Hell, i gave him a rep point for the fly floss jab.. You dont have to be the head checker down at the wall mart to know thats funny!!

N
Nettship
I fish both Fly and gear. I use whatever seems to be working best at the moment. I have found that both gear and fly fisherman can be stuck up. If someone talks to me i talk back. Tell them whats been working from me. Like you said we are all out there to catch fish.

H
halibuthitman
Flyfishing is like marriage. At first theres a lot of romance and folks tend to jump right in. Then they find out its a lot of work, commitment and often dissapointing.. a lot of folks divorce their fly gear, me, i just cheat on fly fishing with my gear rods to get some instant gratification but then remember how much i just love the feel of a nice expensive flyrod-

Reactions: eugene1
Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
flytrekker1007 said:
Ya I was being stereotypical about the beer. If you watch a lot of fly movies they usually drink micro brews. The big picture here is no group is better then the other.

how many fly fisherman movies are out there?

E
eugene1
I think he's referring to youtube/online movies?

If so there are a lot, Fly folks tend to make the better videos, for whatever reason, with a couple caveats.

Best,

GoBlueFan said:

O
OnTheFly
:popcorn:

F
flytrekker1007
GoBlueFan said:
A lot. Research it, ft3 for example

F
flytrekker1007
If flossing with a fly rod is how you do it then good for you, but I don't. I have seen fish chase and take a swung fly. Your pretty much saying fly fishing is flossing and if done correctly its not flossing. Sometimes people distinguish something as being negative or incorrect because they aren't good at it or they don't like it.

F
flytrekker1007
DirectDrive said:
I have personally witnessed gear fisherman swinging and drinking micro brews.
I have even seen them wearing Simms and Patagonia gear whilst doing the above.
The nerve.

What's next, gear fisherman wearing ascots ?
I was being stereotypical because that's the view that I perceive that most people have.

C
ChezJfrey
Hmmm, I looked but see no micro brews here:

S
steelhead_stalkers
I know a lot of very nice, fishy fly fisherman. Same with gear fisherman. I don't ask guys swinging fly's how many they have caught because I already know the answer! :lol: I also use a centerpin rod almost 100% of the time for steelhead so gear and fly guys look at me funny. ;)

Last edited: