Steelhead reel

B
bagold53
I am looking for a good cheap bait casting reel. Would like to keep it under a hundred and be able to use the 3/8 to 5/8 9'6" rod I have. I have been recommended to get a low profile bait caster for the amount of weight I plan on throwing with it. Any recommendations would be Very Appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

P.S. If I am in the wrong section can an admin move me to the correct one.

T
Tacomasteelheader
i knew this one guy who bought a daiwa lexa off ebay for around 90$ says it works great. but ive never tried. if you really want to just drop a $$ or two more and not regret the decision for the rest of your life you can get an abu garcia REVO STX for about 150$ from ebay brand new in the box just ordered one for a fishin buddy and i own one there personally the best reels out IMHO....your getting 20-25 lbs of drag out of a 6oz reel. best of luck. ebay is the best place to find brand new in the box reels for 40-70$ off retail usually nothing ever wrong with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
L
Logger707
Tacomasteelheader said:
i knew this one guy who bought a daiwa lexa off ebay for around 90$ says it works great. but ive never tried. if you really want to just drop a $$ or two more and not regret the decision for the rest of your life you can get an abu garcia REVO STX for about 150$ from ebay brand new in the box just ordered one for a fishin buddy and i own one there personally the best reels out IMHO....your getting 20-25 lbs of drag out of a 6oz reel. best of luck. ebay is the best place to find brand new in the box reels for 40-70$ off retail usually nothing ever wrong with them
Agreed!!! The Abu sx is another great reel just a tad heavier and not quite as adjustable can deffinatly find one for under a hundred

D
DirectDrive
bagold53 said:
I am looking for a good cheap bait casting reel. Would like to keep it under a hundred and be able to use the 3/8 to 5/8 9'6" rod I have. I have been recommended to get a low profile bait caster for the amount of weight I plan on throwing with it. Any recommendations would be Very Appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

P.S. If I am in the wrong section can an admin move me to the correct one.
The very first thing you need to do is determine if you are a right cranker or a left cranker.
Many folks, when buying their first levelwind (baitcaster) chose the wrong crank !

As an example, some are perfectly happy with a left-crank spinning reel, but cannot deal with a left-crank baitcaster.
They require a right crank baitcaster.

I'm a rightie...do everything with my right hand but I prefer left-cranks for any reel.

IMO, there are really no good, new baitcasters in the sub-$100 price point.
The solution might be to shop the used market for a higher tier used reel.

I've been using the indestructible Curado Model B for years and there are a lot of them on the used market as they've been made since '93
Here's my primary CU-201B

O
OnTheDrop
Tacomasteelheader said:
Ebay is the best place to find brand new in the box reels for 40-70$ off retail usually nothing ever wrong with them

I work at Cabela's and it's people like you who ruin it for the honest people.

B
bigsteel
Tacomasteelheader said:
i knew this one guy who bought a daiwa lexa off ebay for around 90$ says it works great. but ive never tried. if you really want to just drop a $$ or two more and not regret the decision for the rest of your life you can get an abu garcia REVO STX for about 150$ from ebay brand new in the box just ordered one for a fishin buddy and i own one there personally the best reels out IMHO....your getting 20-25 lbs of drag out of a 6oz reel. best of luck. ebay is the best place to find brand new in the box reels for 40-70$ off retail usually nothing ever wrong with them
who the hell do you think you are to buy crap off eBay and return it to cabelas?that is a low move.i can't stand people like you

Reactions: OnTheDrop
D
DirectDrive
Tacomasteelheader said:

bigsteel said:
who the hell do you think you are to buy crap off eBay and return it to cabelas?that is a low move.i can't stand people like you

Small consolation, but he did get taken on the Revo drag number advertising scam and still believes it.

:D

18406ej
18406ej
Gentlemen,

Just so I can be in the loop, how does one even manage to return an eBay item to Cabelas in the first place without a receipt? Is there some sort of buy-back program that Cabelas is involved in, or is this just the scammiest scam of scams?

And Taco, if this is a dishonest practice which to my sensitive ear sounds like it very well may be, couldn't one run into Walmart and do one's dirty business there instead of at a wonderful establishment and angler's resource like Cabelas?

I will await word from inside expert Steelmonkiller before I make judgement, but if you have even just the slightest inkling that your suggested action is in any way wrong, I am never above seeing a preemptive apology to persons such as Steelmonkiller who would be directly impacted by your suggested plan of action; to Bagbold, a new member that might have less than a positive opinion of OFF if your comments are confirmed as unseemly; and although such wouldn't be required in writing, a mental apology to OFF as a whole accompanied by your promise to never bring mention of involvement in scams ever again.

And always keep in mind that embarrassing comments can always be edited out by the author before damage becomes widespread.

Sincerely,

Eamon

Last edited:
O
OnTheDrop
EJ-

Lol at the Walmart...Well, I doubt Walmart carries a fine reel like the STX. I wouldn't know though, since I myself do not shop there.

Technically, you are suppose to have a receipt and it has to be within 90 days for you to exchange something. With Cabela's products you get a little more time if there is a malfunction or you just aren't satisfied with your product.

It does happen on occasion where somebody may slime by, but typically if they can't find you on the computer and with no receipt in hand you won't be able to exchange/return.

It's pretty tough to pull this scam off, but as always there is those times...

Cheers to my honest people,

18406ej
18406ej
Bagbold,

Are you new to angling or are you just wanting to transition to a bait-casting reel? I know that people swear by bait-casting and its wonders, but having used both a quality spinning reel and a quality casting reel it is my opinion as a well-documented idiot that spinning is a far less frustrating method with a relatively shallow learning curve. You also don't have the trouble of learning and employing new swear words and trust me, you will be hustling to find and replace those swears because when casting you will run out, and fast!

I myself have cast weights in substantial excess of the "suggested" capacities of my setup (SEE: "Idiot" above) without trouble, most certainly concussing far more fish than I catch. If cost is a concern at the moment, a good spinning setup can cost much less than its peer and offers a greater flexibility of use, such as the ability to fish for still-water Trout at one moment and then fish for river-run Steelhead the next.

I have no doubt that others will comment otherwise in regard to reel types, but for me it all boils down to that thin line determined by the US Federal Court, 9th Circuit when ruling on the case "Can v. Should" (USFC9 BCS32 c.1986).

Welcome to OFF by the way,

Eamon

D
DirectDrive
When I acquired my first levelwind in 1985 everything starting making sense.
Kind of an unexplainable thing.

Levelwinds are far superior when handling large, powerful fish which is why they are so popular with the salmon-steelhead crowd.
You can also pay out line smoothly making techniques such as back-bouncing or pushing a spinner intuitive.

Spinning reels can do only one thing better....cast light baits.

Sounds like the OP has made the decision to try a levelwind.

T
Tacomasteelheader
This is gunna blow up into a large argument that i believe all us fisherman are not looking for so we should just drop this maybe delete all this battle comments and inform this guy about a great baitcast reel..........lol and yeah can't blame me for being a favor of carbontex drag nothing wrong with it ive got it in my calcutta, turned that reel into a beast

Reactions: TTFishon
D
DirectDrive
Tacomasteelheader said:
This is gunna blow up into a large argument that i believe all us fisherman are not looking for so we should just drop this lol and yeah can't blame me for being a favor of carbontex drag nothing wrong with it ive got it in my calcutta, turned that reel into a beast

When you look around and find that you've dug yourself into a hole........STOP DIGGING.

I would however, return the Moral Compass for a properly functioning one.

:thumb:

T
Tacomasteelheader
wouldn't think there would be a hole to dig on a fishing forum:popcorn:

D
DirectDrive
Tacomasteelheader said:
wouldn't think there would be a hole to dig on a fishing forum:popcorn:
:sad:

T
Tacomasteelheader
DirectDrive said:

dont get me wrong this is the best fishing resource around for oregon by far!!! but i see no social status putting someone above another on the internet ? :hi:

O
OnTheDrop
Tacomasteelheader said:
his is gunna blow up into a large argument that i believe all us fisherman are not looking for so we should just drop this maybe delete all this battle comments and inform this guy about a great baitcast reel..........lol and yeah can't blame me for being a favor of carbontex drag nothing wrong with it ive got it in my calcutta, turned that reel into a beast

I feel sorry for you.

B
bagold53
18406ej said:
Are you new to angling or are you just wanting to transition to a bait-casting reel?

I have no doubt that others will comment otherwise in regard to reel types, but for me it all boils down to that thin line determined by the US Federal Court, 9th Circuit when ruling on the case "Can v. Should" (USFC9 BCS32 c.1986).

Welcome to OFF by the way,

Eamon

Thanks for the welcome, I am the type to Keep quiet unless I have something decent to say so not a lot of posts. Been reading a lot though.

To anwser your question I have a bait caster that I got to learn on but it works a lot better on 1.5 to 3 oz weights and I want to get another that will handle smaller weight so that I can throw on my smaller weight poles. Before the bait caster I was have had a few spin reels, but they dont always do what I would like them to. With the bait caster I find it easier to let out line and set when I need to.

Thanks for the info.

B
bagold53
Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look at them and might end up spending a little more. If anyone else has any more reels they really like please let us know.

Thanks again
Ben