Fishing with Powerbait

troutdude
troutdude
Yep. C & R is MUCH easier with a "de-barbed" single egg hook. And with Power Egg there's no messy dough all over your hands each time you "bait up". The Eggs stay on longer (fish after fish after fish), so you wind up paying less. The Eggs stay on long enough to hook the fish (Power Bait often falls OFF your hook w/ the first nibble; so you hook far fewer fish). Etc. etc.

I totally quit using Power Bait, and switched to Eggs only a LONG time ago.

U
UGLYSTICKER
yea i'll pick up a jar of power eggs for the mac this wknd. i'll be trying out the chartreuse and spring green dough too.

J
JHawk
troutdude said:
Yep. C & R is MUCH easier with a "de-barbed" single egg hook.

How are you guys getting the fish off the hook for C&R? Anytime I use PB they end up hooked about halfway to their gut and I end up cutting the leader off so I don't kill them trying to de-hook them (even with barbless hooks).

Reactions: OnTheFly and eggs
O
OnTheFly
JHawk said:
How are you guys getting the fish off the hook for C&R? Anytime I use PB they end up hooked about halfway to their gut and I end up cutting the leader off so I don't kill them trying to de-hook them (even with barbless hooks).
I was wondering the same thing.

E
eggs
troutdude
troutdude
#1 - use a size 4 barbless (or de-barbed) egg hook. Bigger hook, to keep smaller fish OFF.

# 2 - if there is no safe and humane way to remove the hook...cut the line/hook OFF as close to the mouth as possible. An ODFW Fisheries Biologist once told me, that an enzyme in the fish's blood will dissolve the hook in 3 days. And the fish is fine.

# 3 - if you're still not sure--or accidentally kill the fish--keep it and cook it up.

I have effectively released 99% of all of the fish that I catch, based on the strategy above. If anyone can argue against the "hook dissolving enzyme"...I'm all ears. I, too, DO care about the fish and do NOT want to kill any unnecessarily...just like many of the purist (and ofttimes "anti bait" biased) fisherpeeps on here.

U
UGLYSTICKER
JHawk said:

using dough on a treble they can be difficult to release without cutting the line.
using a single they can be usually easily unhooked with needlenose pliers.
using a med. action rod helps to set the hook faster to avoid deep hooking.

B
bigsteel
using bait for c&r fishing makes absolutely no sense to me

H
Hawk
Drew9870 said:
I took no offense from his post, I'm sure he didn't intend for it to sound offensive, I actually read it as a friendly "Dude, you're a fool for passing that up".

I have been considering taking up one of those trips lately, my freezer only has a couple pounds of Trout meat for bait, I know Diamond would be the place to Troll Flies for fish that will give me a considerable amount of meat, kill a hatchery Trout feed a Sea bass.

Alright alright, you talked me into it, now I'll try to convince dad to go next weekend, because I AM in desperate need of bait :lol:.

I heard Diamond Lake has an Algae Bloom. :shock:

Reactions: Drew9870, n8r1, JeannaJigs and 1 other person
Troutski
Troutski
bigsteel said:
using bait for c&r fishing makes absolutely no sense to me

Hummmm; intresting view.

Chuck

Reactions: bigsteel
B
bigsteel
Troutski said:
Hummmm; intresting view.

Chuck

considering the fish swallow the bait and the hook whole most of the time,i dont understand practicing c&r with the bait method....if its stocker trout then by all means do what you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: Troutski
B
beaverfan
bigsteel said:
considering the fish swallow the bait and the hook whole most of the time,i dont understand practicing c&r with the bait method....if its stocker trout then by all means do what you want.

If you know what your doing and keep an eye on your pole it's pretty easy to hook most of em in the mouth.

Troutski
Troutski
beaverfan said:
If you know what your doing and keep an eye on your pole it's pretty easy to hook most of em in the mouth.

:clap:

Reactions: JeannaJigs
troutdude
troutdude
beaverfan said:

X 3. Agreed. The bait only gets into their gut, if you don't set the hook quickly on the first nibble or two.

J
JHawk
troutdude said:
X 3. Agreed. The bait only gets into their gut, if you don't set the hook quickly on the first nibble or two.

I rarely put my pole in a poleholder. When I feel a tug on the line I set the hook...and most of the time I end up cutting the line off because they're hooked too deep. So, your're saying if I don't set the hook as quickly I'll be less likely to guy hook them?

Otherwise, tying on another hook only takes a couple of minutes so I guess I could just keep doing what I'm doing and they hooks will dissolve in a few days and they'll be fine. At least that's the theory.

J
JimBob
I've never done catch and release! I only release if they are too small, not legal or are unfairly hooked

O
OnTheFly
JimBob said:
I've never done catch and release! I only release if they are too small, not legal or are unfairly hooked
Dude..if that's the case you need to start carp fishing.;)

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
I created this thread out of curiosity why some fishermen use Powerbait and there have been some very valid reasons. Most of you enjoy using it because it is easy to use and a great way to introduce kids to fishing. Some of you mentioned that it is a simple way to fish while you kick back and enjoy the day or just socialize. My favorite reason was the use of two rods; one for plunking bait while using the other to fish with spinners.

I’m sure everyone agrees that Powerbait is very effective and fish will probably swim across the lake to get it…well almost. It can be a good back up choice if nothing else works. Everyone enjoys fishing the way they like to do it best but by no means is anyone wasting their time by fishing differently any other way even if Powerbait is the only thing the fish are biting on.

But the bottom line here is the ‘convenience’ of Powerbait. Very little effort is involved in using it. Teaching kids how to fish with it takes very little time and they lose interest in a short while if no action occurs. Yes I know that Powerbait is formulated to attract stocker trout like hatchery pellets but they will bite other things as well and this is when the real education and understanding begins about fishing.

My point is that learning what fish will eat naturally and developing skills in presentation, reading water, and fish behavior will produce a life long interest in the sport. Lucky are those who learn their fishing skills from a mentor. Teach your kids to fish like my dad and my uncle did for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeannaJigs
C
ColoradoTroutMan
The reason I bait fish primarily is simple. That's what I grew up with. Now I mention "bait" as I use all forms of bait.

Powerbait was added simply for the fact it's effective and simple.

I do have some experience with fly fishing however the cost was prohibitive (hence another reason for bait).

I will admit though that powerbait can be just as ineffective as any other form. It's not a can't miss bait.

The addition of powereggs has also made things a bit easier and allows for a different type of presentation.

I guess as others have mentioned it's a very simple, effective, easy and relaxing way to do what we all love to do, catch fish.