Wilson River Report 01-08-2014

J
jesse202505
Hello fellow members, went out on the wilson last weekend when the water was still low and clear, worked the upper river all day and managed one hatchery hen. We released her because it looked like it still had a fin. Or it had been cut wrong. Oh well better safe than sorry. Anyhow looking to head back out this weekend I'm just wondering if this river clears up fast or not ? Any info is much appreciated. Thanks! Tight lines everyone

Y
youngbuck307
No not really wilson is known for mudslides and weather is suppose to get worse... All depends on how high she goes and when it peaks... Other smaller rivers will clear faster.... Some around there

Casting Call
Casting Call
Welcome aboard Jesse! Good question....to be direct and save you some time the Kilchis, Trask, and Wilson in that order. The brakedown is as follows:some places get more rain cause of steeper hillsides than others;more growth than others;less basalt;steeper drain grade;wider river; etc;etc. hopes this helps on your trek.GL Tony

T
TimberTodd
Congratulations on the low water hen Jesse. I am hearing this morning the coast range is suppose to get 2"-4" of rain Saturday. As of yesterday evening the Wilson was predicted to hit almost 7' by Saturday evening. I have a feeling it will surpass that. I would keep an eye on the river gauges.

J
jesse202505
Thanks for all the feedback guys! To be honest it was my buddy who landed the hen. His first time going out in six months and nailed his first steel head this year. I've been out plenty of times and still lookin to get my first winter for this year. Oh well almost at my 1,000 cast I'm due for one soon lol. I think I'm gonna go try out kilchis for my first time. The only good access I hear is off of forest rd. Is it fishable lower than that?

Reactions: steelhead1
troutdude
troutdude
Kudos to you, and your sidekick, for releasing a fish with a "questionable fin"!

You are indeed ready, for the 1,000-to-1 ratio to provide you with a fish!!!

Good luck.