A real stupid question from old fart Oregon newbee

J
JeffBeck
Old fart Soon to be Oregon Newbee moving to the upper Rogue / Shady cove area.
i have been fishing all my life in the midwest and upper NY Canada border with a bass boat so I am Trout, Salmon, river fishing stupid.

I have this guide book on Oregon rivers, [h=3]Oregon River Maps & Fishing Guide by Frank Amato.[/h]Anyway to my question. On the maps it shows boat ramp locations, some are designated by either Drift Boat launch or Power boat.
Does this have any meaning, like what kind of boat is allowed in the area?
Can you use a flat bottom or sled type or other type powered fishing boats for rivers or is it Drift boat only?

I told you it was a stupid question! :)

T
troutmasta
Thats a great question. I have that book, but unfotunately I dont have an answer. Some one will though!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Welcome to OFF and sounds like Oregon soon also...

I have found in my recon of launches that normally if it is listed as a drift boat launch, it is some sort of slide structure, some are very nice and others very primitive. Definitely not something you can back a trailer down and launch a normal PB...so it is just giving you info on the launch, what sort of boats are safe to use in that water, well that is up to each individual to decide...cheers, roger

D
DrTheopolis
Typically, if it's designated "drift boat," it's an unimproved launch -- not paved, no dock. Tough to launch a power boat, but not legally barred.

As far as sleds, it varies by river. Lower stretches of larger rivers usually permit power boats. Check the marine regs for the water in question.

Welcome.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I would call these typical drift boat launches, a fancy one, middle of the road one, and a primitive one...cheers, roger

Last edited by a moderator: