Fishing with Powerbait

D
Drew9870
I like PB when I cannot cast a fly out far enough (maybe to get over a drop off from the bank, get deeper, or conditions just won't allow for a fly).

Tossing a #2 Blue Fox is another one, I'll let it sink to bottom and crank it up slow, if anything is seen chasing it, I grab the fly rod and start tossing to them, muhahahaha. :lol:

But I am talking fishing hatchery ponds/lakes, some coastal lakes get a few stockers here and there, but no way in my right mind am I gonna dunk Powerbait for them, I feel more accomplished with a worm and no weight, let alone a fly I personally tied.

Last edited:
U
UGLYSTICKER
on the mac yesterday morning i seen a guy wasting his time flyfishing while i was slaughtering them with Pink Lemonade turbo PB:lol:but he was a good sport about it and said he was gonna start spinning again.
maybe he had tied on the wrong pattern? they were rolling all over the place.

then today at Alton Baker there was a guy wasting his time with worms while i was slaughtering them again this time with Sherbert Shrimp:lol: "oh powerbait" :( he did'nt have any powerbait.

PowerBait should be illegal its unfair to hatchery trout and wild too. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

F
FluffyFisherman
This thread is lame!

Reactions: OnTheFly, JeannaJigs and beaverfan
B
Bassleg
I use anything that is legal to catch fish if DuPont lures <dynamite> were the hot tip of the day I would bring my bic and get the net.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Classy

J
JimBob
I fish Crane and Diamond. Powerbait is what the trout there like. If it ain't chartreuse it ain't no use.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
JimBob said:
I fish Crane and Diamond. Powerbait is what the trout there like. If it ain't chartreuse it ain't no use.

Very good point JimBob. Many of the fish that come from Diamond are caught on Power Bait. In fact, it seems like those fish want PB even more than flies (or velveeta cheese, etc).

D
Drew9870
That is probably because Diamond was poisoned not too long ago, anything 16+ inches can be assumed a hatchery fish (Powerbait Recipe = Based on hatchery formula), most fly fishermen/women get just as much of a pleasure out of catching one fish on a fly tied personally or fly rod as a plunker does walking away with a limit. If I am out for a thrill, I will use flies even while I am getting outfished by the guy using worms/PB, if I am out for bait, I am going to use whatever method that seems appropriate based on water conditions/depth.

I have been offered dozens of trips up to Diamond Lake, the majority of them being this year, I turn them all down, I don't go camping to catch hatchery Trout :lol: unless I am in desperate need of bait for the Ocean.

A general rule of thumb... Most fish will be caught on the presentation that is most thrown at them. The majority of people who fish stocker waters are tossing Powerbait, thus, many of the fish are caught on Powerbait.

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
DB Crouper said:
As with fly fishing, where one strives to present an imitation of natural food, there is the old fashioned method of capturing the actual food and serving it to the fish. It's very natural and rewarding to find a periwinkle, peel the shell back, and hook the flesh onto a little hook. Crawdad tails are more adventuresome, as there is an element of danger added. As kids we would go camping at Klootchie Creek, and not even take bait, as we were sometimes too poor or tightass to buy a dozen worms. My favorite bow hunting area in NE Oregon has a stocked pond with 10" to 18" rainbows. I take a small spinning outfit, but no bait. Sometimes midday we will go fish, but only if we're quick enough to catch some grasshoppers. The fish taste better, caught that way.:)
This is what bait fishing is all about. My thoughts exactly. Thank you DB.:cool:

O
OnTheFly
meluvtrout said:
You guys don't need to buy powerbait to fish with powerbait. Make your own and make it better.
8- Thank meluvtrout later.

As far as the reasons why people use powerbait:
1- They only have limited time, cash resource, knowledge of products, bugs and fish and have kids who want to catch fish, want to eat fish and need results.
2- Don't have the time or patience as most retired fly fishermen dudes do, such as reading books to learn about life cycle of bugs, fishing during the week and tying flies.

meluvtrout said:
More reasons:
-Fly fishermen fish to catch fish, bait fishermen fish to eat fish.
-Fly fishermen go home to tie more flies when they run out of flies, bait fishermen open another jar of powerbait.
-Fly fishermen adjust to nature, hide behind bushes, walk for miles to enjoy and release a fish, bait fishermen change the position of their chairs to get more/less sun.
-Fly fishermen drink from flasks, bait fishermen drink from coolers.
I still have more Jim :)
These are perhaps some of the finest examples of Powerbait use ever.:shock: I can't wait to see what comes next!:rolleyes:;)

Last edited:
J
JimBob
Drew, you are a fool.

I would never turn down a trip there even if i was going to catch nothing. Those fish are not just hatchery fish anymore anyway. They all have size and they fight. I understand the two distinct styles/cultures, and I do know that I have no interest in fly fishing! Just like how i'd never buy a toyota!

However, fishing is fishing and i hate to disparage one or the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: beaverfan
troutdude
troutdude
Agreed. It's best to keep things civil. After all, it is a PUBLIC forum.

There have been over 700 views of this thread. So, if we're "slinging hash" on here (at each other)...I'd bet that those lurkers won't regard us too highly.

N
n8r1
JimBob said:
I do know that I have no interest in fly fishing! Just like how i'd never buy a toyota!

Hmmm...I drive my Toyota SUV to go fly fishing...sounds like we don't have much in common :D

Reactions: JeannaJigs and eggs
B
bigsteel
n8r1 said:
Hmmm...I drive my Toyota SUV to go fly fishing...sounds like we don't have much in common :D
:lol::lol::lol:

J
JimBob
Absolutely meant it like how drew took it!

Not trying to fight anyone!

O
OnTheFly
JimBob said:
Absolutely meant it like how drew took it!

Not trying to fight anyone!
Copy that! But he can be a mammering, motley minded clotpole at times.:D

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
U
UGLYSTICKER
JimBob said:

some friends of mine just recently fished crane for bass but they seen a guy catch about a 8 or 9 lb rainbow on chartreuse PB.
i have now added chartreuse and spring green PB to my arsenal. can't wait to try them on the mac:D

troutdude
troutdude
Chartreuse was THE color to use, in every lake that I fished last year. Everyone caught fish with that color, in all of those lakes. It's still one of the Power Egg colors that I keep in my pack (along w/ several others).

BTW, the Magnum Power Eggs will stay on a single egg hook (size 4) MUCH better; than Power Bait on any type of hook.

U
UGLYSTICKER
troutdude said:
Chartreuse was THE color to use, in every lake that I fished last year. Everyone caught fish with that color, in all of those lakes. It's still one of the Power Egg colors that I keep in my pack (along w/ several others).

BTW, the Magnum Power Eggs will stay on a single egg hook (size 4) MUCH better; than Power Bait on any type of hook.

no doubt dude,
i'll be switching to PowerEggs...and getting away from dough and trebles soon. as it's so much easier to release fish caught on a single.