New kayak is home...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I enjoyed my first kayak (2012 Hobie PA12) so much last year that when this 2-person 14' Hobie Oasis came up for sale (same year, same color as my PA12), I jumped on it and we picked it up on our way home to Oregon on Jan2.

Unlike my PA12, which I rigged up with everything I want for all sorts of fishing outings, going to keep it simple with the Oasis, mostly so Rachelle and I can pedal around costal lakes together, maybe dragging a wedding ring for trout, but mostly just "taking a hike on the water" (pedaling these Hobie's is great low impact exercise, legs get tired after several hours but hips/knees/feet are happy).

The Oasis is also a great boat for 1 person, so we can also take both boats out with me doing the serious fishing from the PA12 and she just cruising around and taking pictures..

..and if I do get serious about ocean kayak salmon fishing, the Oasis is a much better ocean boat (easier to keep upright in big swells and better for surf launches and returns) compared to my PA12 (which is great on rivers and lakes, great in boat wakes and wind whitecaps but up the side of a swell you can't lean in and keep it upright like a normal kayak)....cheer, roger

B
billfisher
I see good times in your future! Its hard to beat a day on a Kayak. I've never used one with pedals so they sure look easier to fish with. I've held off getting one because the extra weight would be a problem for me. Hope you and yours have a great time with it.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Very nice, Roger! You and Rachelle are going to be in tip top shape and have a grand time in that craft. :)

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
billfisher said:
I see good times in your future! Its hard to beat a day on a Kayak. I've never used one with pedals so they sure look easier to fish with. I've held off getting one because the extra weight would be a problem for me. Hope you and yours have a great time with it.

weight is definitely a factor, my PA12 is more of a small boat with double bump bottom hull design, like a really narrow Livingston, 120# easy but I launch out the back of my small SUV at boat launches, so no worries and I can pedal it at 3.5mph for hours and hours.

Oasis is much lighter, 73#, longer and not as wide, I can't wait to see how fast I can pedal it!

Each Mirage drive weighs 7# (and I have 3 now :):):) ) but most people launch without them and lock them in once floating...

for a single person Hobie the Revo13 is very popular and just 58#, Revo11 just 47#. Even the 16' Adventure which is very fast and popular for ocean use is 63#...

now cost is a different issue, these things are definitely not cheap....roger

B
billfisher
I'll take a look at the Revo line, thanks for the info. I have a native watercraft ultimate 12 at 40 something lbs. It has the double bump bottom also.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
we got the Oasis out on the water today on Munsel Lake for about an hour, nice and sunny on Jan 14 with just a little wind chop (OK, one of us thought it was a little wind chop, the other kept pointing to little whitecaps), in the end, all smiles after a good first check ride. cheers, roger

B
billfisher
It looks a little choppy, glad you had a good check-out run.