Lincoln City // Tualatin River

T
Tribal16
I'm headed to Lincoln city this weekend for a family reuinion. I was looking to fish some of the streams a long the way that feed into the salmon river. Anyone have any advice for a newbie? Not looking for your secret spot but any advice would help! Like fly choice and stuff. thanks!

also i was looking to fly fish the tualatin down by where the tualatin feeds into the willamette for bass. Has anyone ever tried down there near Willamette park in west linn? I was down there a couple days ago and fish were jumping all around the dock.

C
cookshot
The best luck I've had on the Tualatin is just above where it comes into the Willamette. It picks up pretty good a couple hundred yards below the diversion dam. I've only come down from that way, so I'm not sure how it is paddling up that way. Lots of cover, lots of snags, but there are quite a few bass in there. My uncle (who lives on the river there) also claims his wife caught a 4 lb channel cat. When I have seen fish jumping there, they have been squaw fish, but who knows. Boat access would be best if you have that. Good luck!

B
beaverfan
As far as the Salmon River, curious why you would want to target the tiny little creeks when you got the Salmon right there? You'll probably have better luck fishing the slightly larger water. The fish will be bigger too.

brandon4455
brandon4455
the river holds very large sea runs right now and feisty resident coastal cutthroat as well. fish the lower river at ddifferent pullofs. try hair wing dries like stimulators and elk hair caddis and fish big wets and streamers for sea runs. nymphs will produce in fast water.

brandon4455
brandon4455
nice job. and how far upriver did you go? it looks a lot less wide then the van duzer forest corridor and is definitely not the lower river.. the white gate on the side of the road has walk in less then 200ft to the river.. nice fish in there too. try that next time there are biig trout you just have to find them also try the rose lodge bridge and downstream of it. next month is prime for that spot. early sptember the trout fishing picks up in the section above the tackle shop (upper river to the forest corridor)

T
Tribal16
I was no more than 20-30 miles out of lincoln city on salmon river highway. I was closer to lincoln city i don't think i made it that far. Dang, should have drove further up. Well thanks for the advice i will hit that next time for sure! thanks for the advice

brandon4455
brandon4455
no problem. if you need anymore help with that river just shoot me a pm