The Bend area of Oregon...

L
LivinItUpCO
I know I have already posted about this, but my wife(who is from Newberg) and I will make the move from CO to OR in the next couple years. We were originally thinking the Portland area, but she just planted a seed in my mind of the idea of moving to Bend. I am obsessed with researching hunting/fishing and have already become obsessed with reading about salmon/steelhead. When we stayed in Redmond last year I picked up some old steelheading books in a used book store in Sisters. I cannot get enough. I've even started tying steely jigs already ( ill use some for ice fishing this season). My question is can someone tell me what the steelhead/salmon fishing looks like in that area, an what is the hunting like? Just general info, excited to hear back! Thanks!

-Chris

S
steelhead_slayer
The Deschutes provides the closest opportunity for steelhead/salmon. There are other great rivers in relatively close distance also. A lot being over the pass.

Trout fishing in the area is great.

Plenty of good hunting for deer, elk, upland bird, and ducks.

L
LivinItUpCO
Also, I don't keep fish a lot, but are the salmon edible by the time they get over there? 3 years ago I stopped at a fly shop in Maupin that had so much history on the walls I did not want to leave. Also had some huge steel pics....that shop made such an impression on me I cannot wait to wander around it again.

troutdude
troutdude
The bulk of the Fall/Winter Salmon/Steelhead runs, are found in Coastal Streams. These fish are larger than, our Spring/Summer runs (which occur mostly, in our Willamette Valley streams). So, I'd suggest living in the Valley (Portland, Salem, Eugene). Such a location, will put you into relatively close proximity--to year 'round fishing for Nooks, Ho's, and Steel. IF that's what you primarily want to target. There's also plenty of great hunting, in the Coast Range; as well as in the Cascade Mountains.

S
steelhead_slayer
yes, the fish are still good to eat

E
eugene1
Retiring in Oregon... don't count out the Southern coastal communities.. Coos bay, Brookings, or Rogue river towns like Medford, Grants pass, Ashland. Little bit of God's country there.

Good luck,

O
OnTheFly
Yeah, it'll be a long drive from Bend to get into any salmon or steelhead. The lower Deschutes will be your best bet for steelies between late August to December. Trout fishing in CO is a completely different story.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Google Tillamook! It has it all. Wilson,Trask, and Kelchis rivers. all with-in three miles of each other. Enjoy you internet trek for the next few years. I'll save a seat for you. We here do live in a great state. Tony

T
Throbbit _Shane
There's a difference between living in Bend, Portland, Eugene, Medford, Klamath Falls. Each town has a different climate. Some towns offers more or less then others. Oregon has many types of environment's and each are great for what ever your used too.

F
FishFinger
The Newberg, Dayton, McMinville areas are wonderful communities somewhat sheltered from the mayhem of PDX. If your ultimate goal is to target Salmon/Steelhead; west of the Cascades will put you closer to the action. As well, you'll also experience what Oregon is also known for.... Rain, rain, and more rain.

East of the Cascades it's a different creature where rain showers are few and far between. As steelhead_slayer mentioned; the Deschutes, John Day, and Columbia rivers offer access to steelhead and if you time it right UBRs heading further east.

After opting to leave the rat race behind I find central Oregon to be a slice of heaven where fly gear has put my Salmon gear into partial retirement. I suppose the trick is to have buddies in the West to hook up with when traveling 3.5 to 5 hours for beefcake chrome.

Good luck with your choice and welcome to Oregon.

Last edited:
L
LivinItUpCO
Thanks all, so much to consider....Oregon, like CO, will make me a happy camper wherever I end up. I definitely saw the difference in trout fishing; the Metolius was tough but if it's too easy it isn't as rewarding...

troutdude
troutdude
If, on the other hand, you're more inclined for trout fishing--and have a boat--Bend/Redmond/LaPine are is a mecca for lake fishing.