The ethics of catch and realease

S
steelhead1
I can't say that piercing a fish and getting a rush from its frantic struggle, is pure form, but in this world, what is? None that fish for sport or relaxation is innocent, but who is? What we do is not in any way beneficial for our quarry. But the alternative ways I might spend my time, are almost unimaginable. My version of heaven is a world where fishes are pursued, and tricked, brought to hand with a mutual chuckle(ha ha,you got me) and released unharmed (but maybe a bit wiser). But in reality, where do you draw the line? We are hurting these animals, and if you don't see that or feel even the slightest compassion, well, good luck with that. Speaking for myself, I know the damage caused by my chosen lifelong pursuit. I will take fish for food, but I am not starving. I will injure a fish for the thrill of the struggle, but that does not mean that I don't respect these creatures. Minimizing mortality and damage has always been a part of MY OWN set of standards, what others do is out of my control. I would prefer to think that my own experience handling a fish for release, with the goal of the fishes continued survival, has been achieved with attention and diligence. Not by something I read in a free pamphlet, distributed by the government for the mindless masses. I am not asking for answers, I really don't care if any agree. Its more of a question you should be asking yourself. I am confident that when I choose to release, I am doing the best that I can. I'm not perfect, but who is?

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
steelhead1 said:
I can't say that piercing a fish and getting a rush from its frantic struggle, is pure form, but in this world, what is? None that fish for sport or relaxation is innocent, but who is? What we do is not in any way beneficial for our quarry. But the alternative ways I might spend my time, are almost unimaginable. My version of heaven is a world where fishes are pursued, and tricked, brought to hand with a mutual chuckle(ha ha,you got me) and released unharmed (but maybe a bit wiser). But in reality, where do you draw the line? We are hurting these animals, and if you don't see that or feel even the slightest compassion, well, good luck with that. Speaking for myself, I know the damage caused by my chosen lifelong pursuit. I will take fish for food, but I am not starving. I will injure a fish for the thrill of the struggle, but that does not mean that I don't respect these creatures. Minimizing mortality and damage has always been a part of MY OWN set of standards, what others do is out of my control. I would prefer to think that my own experience handling a fish for release, with the goal of the fishes continued survival, has been achieved with attention and diligence. Not by something I read in a free pamphlet, distributed by the government for the mindless masses. I am not asking for answers, I really don't care if any agree. Its more of a question you should be asking yourself. I am confident that when I choose to release, I am doing the best that I can. I'm not perfect, but who is?

You're making a point that I tried making on "that other site" in a thread about "harassing" bull trout in the Met and in Billy Chinook. One fellow (a rather young fisherman) was bemoaning people fishing for bullies claiming that it's harassing these fish during their typical spawning season (even tho the fish in the lake aren't spawning, they'd be up river doing that business) - he seemed not to admit, or realize that all fishing is a form of harassment. We sport fishers get our kicks by arguably tormenting, if not outright torturing of a lower form of life. Honestly - not a single person on this forum would willingly be stabbed through the lip, gums, roof of their mouth, or really any other part of their body with a big sharp, most likely barbed hook, and lead around until they were exhausted, then suffocated, often for very damaging periods of time, and then "set free" with the real possibility of dying from their injuries or from being over exerted.

Fishing is a blood sport, catch & release "ethic" or not. Catch & release is no boone for the fish - we're doing it to ensure there's more fish to abuse at another time for US. If fish had brains bigger than a nut, they'd suffer from PTSD after such an encounter. We fool fish into eating or attacking our bait/lures. It'd be like hiding a hook in a Quarter Pounder with Cheese or filet Mignon for us.

Fishing is seen as harmless by most non fisher folk because they don't think about what the fish go through during their encounters with us. The PETA types (and not the People Eating Tasty Animals version) despise catch & release more than catch & kill - because fish kept are at least presumed to be destined for the dinner table. The whole idea of catch & release fishing was borne in the early 20th century as a means for guides and lodges to ensure they still had quality fishing for sports, so people would continue to fork over their cash to the guides and lodges. Fly fishers especially caught onto the idea because it's romantic, it's easy to lul oneself (and others) into thinking that we're doing a favor to the fish by letting them live after being caught. I suppose in the life vs. death debate, life usually is better - but would someone who has just been severely tortured choose to die, or go through the torture again at some unknown point? Some folks would want to live, but some would choose death over torture.

There are people that love to jump on others for their fish handling skills for a quick hero shot, but think nothing of catching & releasing a dozen fish (or more) a day blissfully believing that all of those fish swim away unharmed, with no lasting effects.

I love to fish. I practice catch & release, but I also have no illusions that what I do has no harmful effects to the individual fish. I'm sure a good portion of the fish I catch & release will expire, due to exhaustion, or infection from their uninvited piercing job.

It's a choice we all make, and should be thoughtful about at least a bit.

Good, thought provoking posting OP.

T
troutmasta
steelhead1 said:
I'm not perfect, but who is?

Its a short list that includes myself- :lol:

Casting Call
Casting Call
It's this simple. Fishing is a blood sport! If you don't fish for the fish's sake, someone else will. It's our choice,were are at the top of the food chain.

F
FishFinger
I respect your consern regarding the impact of angling for fish. I long been a barbless hook advocate, however being born a fish is being born into a tough life. From the moment fry hatch out every minute spent is either eating or avoiding being eaten. It's nothing short of aquatic bullying.

It up to anglers to step in and even the score, targeting those big fish who reign terror on fellow fishes that are gurth challenged. Since fish don't consent to the notion of tollerance, acceptance, and species equality; angling is nessary to protect the defencelessness nature of child fishes.

When I harvest a big one, my thoughts often race to the fact I have saved a countless number of little fellas who have their whole fishy life ahead of them.

Angling, you see is really for the greater good....

All kidding aside there is a way to determine them extent of neurological "damage" a fish incurs once hooked and played out. When their eyes bulge out worse than Lord Monkton, Samuel L Jackson, or Ophra; it indicates a extream level of stress has occurred, sometimes beyond what reviving can cure.

Bag limits set by our government masters, prevents retention of fishes that will certainly die upon release.

I guess crawdads have to eat too.

H
halibuthitman
"Child fishes" priceless...

18406ej
18406ej
I certainly am not innocent in any number of ways, but have been granted the grace from God to just enjoy the anticipation of a bite as much as the killing of approximately one fish per 5,000 hopeful and happy casts.

Happy new year to all of you,

Eamon

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
halibuthitman said:
"Child fishes" priceless...

I'm pretty sure I killed the first (and so far only) fish landed for 2014 for me today. Was fishing a small trout stream, getting bupkis on a #14 black nymph, so I switched to a #18 midge pupae and hooked up with the dumbest 3" "child fish" cutthroat in the creek. He was choking on the midge, and a whisp of the barb didn't crush like it should've, and he was bleeding when I let him go. Bird food or bug food most likely. Not many fish to be seen - rose 2 to dry flies but they refused at the last second. Very low, clear, cold water. Had a really cool hike up a stream I've never fished before. Saw some bear tracks, some elk tracks, and piles and piles of elk ****.

Met a really cool old guy and his wife, and wound up BSing for what had to be 2 hours about fishing (he's a fishing guide who focuses on fly fishing with double handed rods) and had a great time outdoors.

I hope I didn't jinx my fishing year out by killing that poor, idiot little fishlet. There's bigger fish to be caught, and when Hagg opens up again I intend to go rip the lips off some bass, and maybe try to put one of the big brooders on ice this year. And my son is finally getting big enough to go out with me and actually try to fish this season. Only question left is - bream pole (redneck Tenkara?) or spey rod to break him in with? :)