Rogue river bank fishing

S
Salty Nick
I will be visiting southwest Oregon near the end of August - I'm a California native who bank fishes quite a bit, mostly surf-fishing for rockfish, and bay/river fishing for striped bass (used to fish for river-run salmon - 'til it got so bad it isn't worth it).

I will mostly be doing the tourist thing with family, but was wondering if it was worth bringing a rod or two? Are there any spots in Lower Rogue or Bay that would be worth bank fishing in late August? I used to fish Sacramento River fall run, using Mepps and Blue Fox spinners, usually below a 1/2 to 1oz. egg sinker (Carolina rig). I would fish 7-8 hours, and be lucky to get 1-2 fish. What do bank anglers usually use in the Lower Rogue?

I don't expect anyone to give up their favorite spots, but if there's some general areas that are good for bank fishing that you don't mind mentioning, I'd appreciate it.

Also, I was studying the Oregon Regs, and to say the least, they're kind of confusing. In August, it looked like you could take either wild or hatchery Chinook, hatchery Coho, and hatchery Steelhead in the Lower Rogue? Or was I not getting it? I got a little confused with the Southwest Zone Regs.

Thanks much,

Salty.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Bank fishing along the Rogue River, a gem in the heart of southern Oregon, is an angling experience that combines scenic beauty, abundant wildlife, and a diverse fishery. The Rogue River stretches over 200 miles from the Cascade Range to the Pacific Ocean, offering a variety of fishing environments, from its upper reaches near Crater Lake National Park to the rugged canyons and finally to its estuary near Gold Beach. This essay explores the nuances of bank fishing on the Rogue River, including the species available, prime locations, strategies for success, and the importance of conservation practices to ensure the sustainability of this magnificent river's ecosystem.

Rogue river bank fishing

The Allure of the Rogue River​

The Rogue River is renowned for its rich biodiversity and the variety of angling opportunities it presents. Its clear, cold waters are home to a plethora of fish species, making it a favored destination for anglers seeking both the tranquility of nature and the thrill of the catch. The river's dynamic flow, diverse habitats, and scenic beauty add to its appeal, drawing visitors from across the globe.

Target Species for Bank Anglers​

Bank fishing the Rogue River offers the chance to target a wide range of species, with tactics and timing varying by location and season:

• Salmon: The Rogue is famous for its runs of Chinook (King) salmon in the spring and fall, as well as Coho (Silver) salmon in the fall. These powerful fish offer a challenging and rewarding experience for bank anglers.
  • Steelhead: Both summer and winter steelhead runs attract anglers to the Rogue. These migratory rainbow trout are known for their acrobatics and fighting prowess.
  • Trout: The upper sections of the Rogue River provide excellent opportunities for catching rainbow and cutthroat trout, especially appealing for fly fishermen.
  • Bass and Panfish: In the lower, warmer sections of the river, smallmouth bass and various panfish species can be targeted, offering a fun and accessible option for anglers of all skill levels.

Prime Locations for Bank Fishing​

The Rogue River's diverse landscape means that bank fishing spots are plentiful and varied. Some key areas include:

• Upper Rogue: Near Shady Cove and the Hatchery, where access is facilitated by parks and public lands. This area is excellent for trout and early-season steelhead.
  • Middle Rogue: Grants Pass to Gold Hill features accessible banks and riffles that are ideal for salmon and steelhead, especially during migration periods.
  • Lower Rogue: Near Agness and the estuary, where the river widens, and salmon and steelhead congregate before entering the ocean or returning upstream to spawn.

Strategies for Success​

Success in bank fishing the Rogue River involves understanding the river's conditions, fish behavior, and adapting techniques accordingly:

• Know the Seasons: Timing is everything. Salmon fishing peaks in spring and fall, while steelhead can be targeted in summer and winter. Trout are more abundant in the upper river during the warmer months.
  • Gear and Bait: Use gear appropriate for the species you’re targeting. Salmon and steelhead anglers often use heavier tackle, while trout fishing requires lighter gear. Bait choices range from worms and salmon eggs for trout to larger plugs and spinners for salmon and steelhead.
  • Reading the Water: Look for spots where fish are likely to hold, such as behind boulders, in deep pools, or at the tail end of riffles. Casting to these areas increases your chances of a bite.
  • Stealth and Patience: Approach the river quietly to avoid spooking fish. Patience is key, as is persistence in changing tactics if something isn’t working.

Conservation and Ethical Angling​

The Rogue River's ecosystem is fragile, and its health is crucial for the species that inhabit it. Anglers play a vital role in conservation efforts through ethical fishing practices:

• Catch and Release: Practice catch and release, especially with native species, to help maintain population levels. Use barbless hooks and handle fish with care.
  • Respect Regulations: Follow all fishing regulations regarding seasons, bag limits, and gear restrictions to support sustainable fisheries management.
  • Leave No Trace: Keep the riverbanks clean by packing out all trash, including fishing line and bait containers, to protect wildlife and preserve the river's natural beauty.
  • Habitat Restoration: Participate in or support local habitat restoration projects to improve the health of the river ecosystem.

Conclusion​

Bank fishing on the Rogue River offers an unparalleled opportunity to connect with nature and pursue a diverse range of fish species in one of Oregon’s most scenic waterways. By understanding the river’s patterns, respecting its inhabitants, and adhering to conservation principles, anglers can enjoy the thrill of the catch while ensuring that the Rogue River remains a vibrant and productive fishery for future generations. Whether seeking the solitude of a quiet trout stream or the excitement of landing a mighty Chinook salmon, the Rogue River’s banks provide a perfect stage for the angling adventure of a lifetime.

S
Salty Nick
Also, will probably head to Crater Lake after that, it looks like that passes by Grants Pass area, which is near Upper Rogue? If given the choice, would I do better in late August to bank it from Upper Rogue or Lower Rogue for Salmon? The hard part for me though, is to fit in the fishing in-between the tourist stuff. It would be great if we could stay at a spot where the wife, kid & friends could walk around and have fun, while I fit some fishing in the morning.

Thanks,

Salty.

R
RunWithSasquatch
The Mid to lower Rogue is best, in my opinion for that time. It sounds like the Galice area, just above the wild and scenic in late august will be full of fish. And in my opinion, is a really nice area of the river. Galice has a resort, and a nice restaurant, lots of river access through that portion, with camp grounds along that area as well, about 20 minutes off I5. Im not sure of your vacation route, but sounds like you are coming up 101? If so, driving the river east and crossing over Bear Camp Road would put you smack on Galice.

S
Salty Nick
Thanks for the info. Plans are not yet set in stone. We are coming from SF Bay Area in CA - was planning to hit north coast of CA up through Mendocino to Crescent City, and into Oregon mainly to hit Crater Lake. Wasn't sure whether should go directly from Crescent City up to Grants Pass/Medford, then onto Crater Lake - or make a detour up to Gold Beach for a day, then back down and across to Medford. Again, travelling with family and a couple friends, and I am the only one interested in fishing - but I warned them I would take some time to fish. I will look into Galice.

Also wondering if I am planning too late. I know Oregon is a popular destination in the summer.

Salty.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Theres room for everyone. I am sure you'll be able to make your trip happen comfortably. As far as getting reservations, i can't say. It is a popular time of the year. The Galice area specifically will be busy, but most people are short term, one night at a time, being that most are staging to raft the rogue rivers wild and scenic section, though there are a lot of other things to do in the area.

There will be more people with better info that post later on, I am sure.

S
Salty Nick
Thanks much for the info RWS, appreciate it.

Salty.

E
eat, sleep, fish
The others have all given you great advice so far. If you're really wanting to do some salmon fishing I would take the detour up to Gold Beach. Plunking with a spin n glow or an anchovie will probably be your best bet at getting into one. Casting spinners would also be a good bet if you're not into sitting and waiting.

If you're wanting the best shot at catching some fish cut straight across from Crescent City and hit the Upper Rogue. There will be a lot of summer steelhead around and August is a great time. The very upper stretch above Shady Cove provides the easiest bank access to a lot of holes, and the road to Crater Lake also runs right along the river. You can cast size 3 spinners or 1/3 spoons, or drift corkies and yarn or bait, or flies under a bobber will all produce fish. They're super aggressive so you can use almost anything and have a decent shot at hooking into at least one.

The middle Rogue will have a few fall kings in it that time of year, but with the high flows this year the fish most likely aren't going to be holding in traditional holes. It's going to make it pretty tuff on us bank fishermen.

M
Mad dog
Salty,

There is a lot of bank access on the lower Rogue, Lobster creek is about 8 miles or so upstream from Gold beach and they do get some salmon and steelhead in that area. At times you can catch fall chinook right off of the sand spit between the jetties on the right tide, but this year they dredged the bay and the sandspit is almost completely gone. A 1 oz. kastmaster tossed into the river channel from the jetty and retrieved in a jigging retrive...let it sink a few feet, lift your rod and retrieve a few feet of line, then let it sink again, then retrieve again will sometimes get fall chinook. You might also have some opportunity for surf perch, lingcod or rockfish off of the jetties in august....just be careful....that Rogue jetty sure seems to get rough at times!

Gold beach is no-mans land as far as inland hwy's are concerned, you'll have to backtrack to 199 and follow the Smith river until you hit I-5 at Grants pass or you can head north and go east at Bandon on Hwy42 until you get to Roseburg, from Roseburg, Crater lake is a direct, senic drive along the North Umpqua river, I would highly recommend this route!

S
Salty Nick
Wow! Thanks for all the great, detailed info - appreciate your generosity. I really like the idea of hitting Gold Beach and trying for salmon, and even middle Rogue for Steelhead, too - will see if family & friends agree tho. Will let you know how it goes.

Salty.

E
eat, sleep, fish
I'd probably skip the middle Rogue and just stop along the Upper river as you drive along it. There will be more steelhead up there, and they will be much more aggressive as the middle river gets quite warm during August.

S
Salty Nick
More Regulation Help!
Boy, and I thought CA regs were confusing - but, I was looking at Southwest Zone regs for Upper Rogue (around Shady cove area) during August 21-27th timeframe, and was getting a headache.
Am I right in understanding that all Chinook Salmon is closed in that stretch, but hatchery Coho and Steelhead are open?

And, sorry if this is off-topic, but same for North Umpqua River (around Idleyld Park area)?

Not having caught any Coho/silver - I've heard the best way to ID from Chinook are white or light gums vs. Chinook black/dark gums?

Salty.

E
eat, sleep, fish
Yes it's open to steelhead and coho, but you won't find any silvers up there until late October at the earliest.

Reactions: bigsteel
S
Salty Nick
Thanks, ESF. So it looks like in Umpqua, near Idleyld Park, and Rogue, near Shady Cove it's a steelhead game. Any suggestions on what to use? Would spinners work in these areas? Mepps or Panther Martins or Rooster Tails? Are most steelies wild, or is there a mix?

Thanks,

Salty.

E
eat, sleep, fish
Spinners are a great choice. My go to lure is a size #3 blue fox in blue body / silver blade. With the river so high you may need to bump it up to a size 4 though. 1/3oz Little Cleos are also a good choice as well as drift fishing. There's a mix of fish in the Rogue and I believe the same for the North Umpqua (but not positive).

R
RunWithSasquatch
eat said:
There's a mix of fish in the Rogue and I believe the same for the North Umpqua (but not positive).

NU has a mix of hatch and nates.

M
Mad dog
Probably about a 50/50 mix of hatcheries vs. nates. The last several seasons hatchery production has been poor due to problems at the Rock creek hatchery. This year seems to be a little better!

Getting back to your original post, during late August I would by far recommend Winchester bay at the mouth of the Umpqua for bank fishing salmon over the Rogue. Lot's of Coho and Chinook in the bay by Late August! Good bank fishing spots at Half moon bay and windy cove....lot's of hatchery coho taken in these spots as well as the terminal fishery where coho smolts are stocked in the boat basin in the harbor....those fish are all hatchery coho! Pink hootchie type spinners are the preferred bank fishing lures on the Umpqua for bay salmon.

S
Salty Nick
Thanks for all the input! Will be staying in Gold Beach then travelling to Crater Lake, so probably won't make it up to mouth of Umpqua. Was thinking of hitting jetty at the mouth of the Rogue or at the bank a little further upstream. When fishing spinners in the rivers, do you guys generally use any added weight? When fishing Sacramento River, it's common to use 1/2 - 3/4oz. egg sinker, then 1 1/2 to 3ft. leader to spinner. Also hope to hit North Umpqua, hear Idleyld and Rogue near Shady Cove. Probably don't need the weight when sizing down to #3 or #4 spinners in smaller parts of rivers?

Thanks,

Salty.

S
Salty Nick
Thanks again!

Thanks again!

Just got back from southern Oregon, and just wanted to say thanks again for all the info and suggestions. Didn't have much luck fishing (unless you count mini-steelhead and rainbow trout fry, but enjoyed the very beautiful natural scenery. Glad the north route down to Crater Lake was suggested - very beautiful country up there - was great driving along the N Umpqua River, the hot spring was awesome and unique. Jetty along the mouth of the Rogue was pretty rough, but I threw off the sand spit for a brief time before the sun set. Shore access along the lower Rogue wasn't that plentiful, and when I finally found a good spot, was already too late - but it was great exploring. Did hook into a pikeminnow, which got me excited for a second. Did see someone tie into a 15# steelhead or salmon near Shady Cove, but it came unbuttoned. Wish I could've fished one more early morning there - think I might've had a chance. Didn't realize Medford and inland in southern Oregon was so blazing hot!

Only fish I caught on the trip were in Humbold Jetty in NorCal - some black rockfish on dropshot zoom flukes. Next time.

Salty.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Awesome! glad you had a good trip, I was hoping we'd here a report back!