Columbia steel

S
skunk
Just saw where a state report from this week, from the Wa side of the columbia, (if it matters) stated that 2000 anglers tied into 640 steelhead. I heard Cathlamet area is hot if your into plunking. Weather is right, and fish are there.

R
RunWithSasquatch
The columbia summer steelhead fishery is a big number fishery... boats go 20 for x amount of fish every day. Lots of fish!

S
skunk
don't mean to be slow, but '20 for x amount'? meaning they do better than bank?, or 20 per boat?!!!

R
RunWithSasquatch
Its not quite as amazing as every boat getting 20 hook ups a day, but some days are that good, not uncommon to see "9 for 16 today!"

S
skunk
wow, I have yet to even see a summer :(

R
RunWithSasquatch
skunk said:
wow, I have yet to even see a summer :(
Its just a whole different world than tributary or coastal fishing

D
DYJ
I've been watching it closely up there. August 8th is the wife and I's 2 anniversary and she surprised me with my first guided trip. We leave this Thurday night for Troutdale and put in @ 5:00 AM Friday. This will be my first time in 10+ years since I fished the columbia.... Hopefully I'll get some good pics to post up!

N
natro
I'm from that area on the Columbia, and yes, the Cathlamet area is great fishing, boat or bank. My dad's fished that area on the Columbia for years and always does real well. Use a dark colored spin-glo and prawns. I went back there for work back in december and you just get spoiled having the columbia so close. The Cowlitz, Kalama, Toutle, and Lewis rivers are real close & right in the area too, which is real nice.

S
SALTYFISH
RunWithSasquatch said:
Its just a whole different world than tributary or coastal fishing

What Squatch said .. They predicted some thing like 400,000 summer's. A friend of mine guides the Colombia, and his best day so far was 12 for 14... But it is a native show this year like 75% native...So far...

Reactions: n8r1
R
rippin fish lips
SALTYFISH said:
\ But it is a native show this year like 75% native...So far...

Good! Maybe some of those natives will venture up the mac or the willy!

R
RunWithSasquatch
rippin fish lips said:
Good! Maybe some of those natives will venture up the mac or the willy!

Not supposed to be any up there.

M
metalfisher76
?
only about 20,000 past the falls already.... there b summers in the mac.

R
rippin fish lips
summers are everywhere in the mac, my buddy hooked into one today but it shook the hook after doing about 7 rolls in the water. and just becuase the mac and willy are mainly hatchery run steelhead, doesn't mean there arent natives in there! i can bet that there is native steelies in there that ppl don't hook into cuz the majority of the run is hatcherys and thats wut u will most likely get into... i am a stong beleiver in native steelies in the wily and mac. if they go up the "coast fork" willie, then y wouldnt they go in the main stream of the willy/mac? I will fish it until i hook one! They are there... there is steelies that do make wrong turns! :D

R
rippin fish lips
RunWithSasquatch said:
Not supposed to be any up there.

I'm gunna catch one for you sumday! i know they be there!

B
beaverfan
rippin fish lips said:
summers are everywhere in the mac, my buddy hooked into one today but it shook the hook after doing about 7 rolls in the water. and just becuase the mac and willy are mainly hatchery run steelhead, doesn't mean there arent natives in there! i can bet that there is native steelies in there that ppl don't hook into cuz the majority of the run is hatcherys and thats wut u will most likely get into... i am a stong beleiver in native steelies in the wily and mac. if they go up the "coast fork" willie, then y wouldnt they go in the main stream of the willy/mac? I will fish it until i hook one! They are there... there is steelies that do make wrong turns! :D

Until we started stocking Summer steelhead above the falls on the Willy there were no native Summer steelhead runs above the falls, only native winter steelhead. I am sure there are some "wild" Summers but not any native ones.

R
rippin fish lips
beaverfan said:
Until we started stocking Summer steelhead above the falls on the Willy there were no native Summer steelhead runs above the falls, only native winter steelhead. I am sure there are some "wild" Summers but not any native ones.

ahhhhhh ok

S
skunk
I have heard of quite a few nonkeepers on the columbia. Ratio seems about 60-70% from a lot of reports I've seen. I have 3 kids who get bored real easy so we'll go try a beach somewhere. Sit with the wife, watch the kids, bbq and hope for a takedown. I'm getting excited for coho and winters. Been awhile since I've felt the pull!!!

C
ChezJfrey
skunk said:
I have heard of quite a few nonkeepers on the columbia. Ratio seems about 60-70% from a lot of reports I've seen. I have 3 kids who get bored real easy so we'll go try a beach somewhere. Sit with the wife, watch the kids, bbq and hope for a takedown. I'm getting excited for coho and winters. Been awhile since I've felt the pull!!!

Yep. Was out on CR on Saturday for awhile and I saw two guys get 8 to their boat and they let 6 of 'em go.

C_Run
C_Run
beaverfan said:

Can't find my regs at the moment but I believe that's why you can keep non-fin clipped steelhead in the Santiam in July and August. I've never seen one.