Salmon River???

J
JonT
Hey fish dudes. You've all been a great help to this Florida boy...

So I'm going to get some chowder at Gracie's Sea Hag and then a little bank fishing on the Salmon River with my trusty light rod and rooster tails...

My question is, where do I park my car?

Any help would be appreciated.

D
DrTheopolis
You'll see a few pullouts around Otis (mini-town just east of LC). There's access near the hatchery, too. Actually, you'll find places all up the river.

I haven't fished there in years (even though I spent many months working in LC, not sure how that happened), but it's my understanding that hatchery fish are few and far between on the Salmon. You could drive the extra 15-20 minutes to Pacific City or Hebo and hit the Nestucca, which might be better fishing.

J
JonT
DrTheopolis said:
You'll see a few pullouts around Otis (mini-town just east of LC). There's access near the hatchery, too. Actually, you'll find places all up the river.

I haven't fished there in years (even though I spent many months working in LC, not sure how that happened), but it's my understanding that hatchery fish are few and far between on the Salmon. You could drive the extra 15-20 minutes to Pacific City or Hebo and hit the Nestucca, which might be better fishing.

Thanks for the advice, Dr. I will be in Pacific City soon to fish the pond in a few days, might try the Nestucca if there is bank access.

D
DrTheopolis
Plenty of bank access around Hebo (go talk to the dude at the store), and miles of it above Beaver. If you don't mind crowds, the mouth of Three Rivers should have fish, and plenty of A-holes casting to them (and some good folk as well, Typical meat hole stuff, not as bad as most).

J
JonT
I hooked one and lost it on my tiny trout rod, but a little further upriver I wandered up on this guy.

steelhead.jpg

D
DrTheopolis
DrTheopolis said:
but it's my understanding that hatchery fish are few and far between on the Salmon.

But not unheard of.

Well done.