Ugly Stik

C
catchallthefish
Any one else swear by Ugly Stik?

E
eugene1
I got a couple of Ugly Stik baitcasters for sturgeon, haven't had any luck with catching anything on them so far except baby striper, but lots of people use them.

Seems like a good cheap rod that is hard to break.

Best,

1 nut in the water
Comparable to fishing with a slinky. I have had one for 27 years that I still have not managed to break and it now is used by any kid that asks to go fishing......

S
steelhead_slayer
I have the little light action one that comes with a little tackle box, and I have caught some monsters browns with it.

C
catchallthefish
ok so im not the only one i got a 5'6 light action and i have caught all my fish and some monsters with it for the past 8 years and its still holding up.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I broke an ugly stick on my first day out with it. I've never bought another one since.

T
Throbbit _Shane
I dont swear by them, but have and will use them. Caught some nice fish on them.

O
OnTheDrop
We have like 20 different sizes in my family for trout and such. Great light action yet we've caught salmon with some 6-7' light action ones. The things can get doubled and never break!

D
DrTheopolis
I've owned a few.

I've had a 5'6" ultralight for years, it's a great rod. Way back when, I landed a 20# nook on it with 4# line. Stupid thing was, I was actually targeting Chinook, wasn't sure it could be done... it could. Haven't used it for nook fishing since.

Had a couple 7' mediums, and an 8'6" medium-heavy or two. Still use one (might have a different brand of top section these days). There's good and bad -- performance-wise, they7're about as crummy as it gets. Durability-wise, they're outstanding. Makes for a good extra spinner rod to throw in the boat and not stow in the rod rack for quick easy access to a rod. Gets horrible abuse and occasionally stepped on, which just doesn't work with a nice IM8 or whatever.

They have their place, when the situation calls for extreme durability (like hiking down a bank that you know you're going to fall at some point, or a community rod to throw around the boat, or to throw behind the truck seat in case of an emergency unexpected fishing situation after work or something).

C
catchallthefish
i have gotten a few of the new cheazy ugly sticks that in my opinion were garbage and broke but i have had a few awesome ones that are a couple years old are the best i think the one i speak of i found on laying on the bank the rod still awesome the reel has some serious ware on it but everything on it still works the drag make a awsfull noise when i hook into big fish now since i hooked that massive carp i think he ruined the inside of the spindell

S
SmallStreams
It's all about the price...

Good experience: 6' medium action is a nice trout rod... has landed 15 lb steelhead. It has proven itself over-&-over and is definitely my favorite trout rod since I do a lot of bushwhacking.

Unhappy experience: 7' medium action where the eyelet at the tip popped out from its frame, needed epoxy to compensate for poor crimping. Medium action has proven okay for steelhead and coho, but was too light for fish bigger than 15 lb because you have no control when the fish gets sideways to the current.

H
halibuthitman
I would rather see my sister in a whorehouse than my brother holding an ugly stick... the international symbol of flossing and snagging.. and they weigh about the same as 3 graphite rods... buy an okuma rod and keep your pride and river cred- just sayin-

C
catchallthefish
what is this credibility and pride on the river mean? Ive heard people speak of this "thing" but what is it?

D
DrTheopolis
It's just HHM reminding you that he's much cooler then everyone else, again.

H
halibuthitman
DrTheopolis said:
It's just HHM reminding you that he's much cooler then everyone else, again.

Geez.... I figured a guy who has spent so much time on the poor white trask would know what a tillmook dry fly rod looked like..... Oh, and Buck Rodgers sucked...

Last edited:
T
Throbbit _Shane
catchallthefish said:
what is this credibility and pride on the river mean?
Sadly nothing.

hobster
hobster
halibuthitman said:
I would rather see my sister in a whorehouse than my brother holding an ugly stick... the international symbol of flossing and snagging.. and they weigh about the same as 3 graphite rods... buy an okuma rod and keep your pride and river cred- just sayin-

Whatever man, I landed my first 20 steelies on an ugly stick and could care less about "river cred" and I have plenty of pride. I've stepped up but have lots of love for that rod, as long as its catchin fish that's all that matters.

D
DrTheopolis
I take pride in the fact I can catch fish on just about any rod and reel, and I pity anyone who values "river cred."

I just like to fish, and have never seen it as either a contest (except for maybe my inner group of fishing buddies), or a fashion show.

O
OnTheFly
DrTheopolis said:
I take pride in the fact I can catch fish on just about any rod and reel, and I pity anyone who values "river cred."

I just like to fish, and have never seen it as either a contest (except for maybe my inner group of fishing buddies), or a fashion show.
I'll bet you drive an old Ford Pinto.

H
Herefishyfishy
I would give someone catching a fish on a branch from the nearest tree with dental floss and a safety pin the highest regard and "river cred." I don't understand how so many of these threads devolve so fast. The original post was a respectable post about fishing in general and as happens too often on this site anymore it turned at some point.