The people of the Pacific NW are amazing

J
JonT
I got lost on the 101. Saw a little fly shop/house in Pacific City, so I stopped in. I met Jack, who I assume is the owner. I asked him about trout. He thought about my question for about a full minute then proceeded to tell me where, when and how to catch recycle steelhead close-by from the bank.

After about 15 minutes of fish talk with him, he said I could use his boat, his gear and even his polarized glasses for a few hours nearby.

I don't think I've ever met a fellow angler so generous.

So, hopefully, I'll be fishing in/around Pacific City tomorrow.

Cheers, Jack. Thanks.

Tight lines.

T
todd_brooks
NICE!!! What's the name of the shop?? Are you from out of state?

J
JonT
todd_brooks said:
NICE!!! What's the name of the shop?? Are you from out of state?

I think it was just "Pacific City Outfitter". Yea, I'm from Texas, but my fianceé grew up in Newport, and we are moving to Hood River in March.

T
troutmasta
I was born in texas, lived all over the counrty, a few places in Europe. I will never leave the PNW.

hobster
hobster
That's a great story! I've been here around 18 years, raised 2 kids here and LOVE the PNW. I've been to most of our great states and we've got it pretty good here. :thumb: I hear ya troutmasta, I will never leave.
One of my best friends is from Texas and is a Longhorn. All I gotta say is GO DUCKS!

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
What a great story :peace:

Casting Call
Casting Call
Jack is great stright-up guy. I have done business with him over the years. He made me some of the 5 carp flies that were shown here early this year Two that were pictured and three with a little variation. He also made a few LARGE San Juan flies that I scent-up. Belive me they all worked very well. His shop is considered a cottage shop no letter sign allowed. But you will see a "GIANT fishing fly" hanging on his door behind a picket fence as you come in to town. Stop by,say hi and check out his flies (steelhead),and guide service. He's been around since Columbus.Tony

T
TimberTodd
That's the type of customer service you like to hear about. can't wait to hear how you do.

J
JonT
Casting Call said:
Jack is great stright-up guy. I have done business with him over the years. He made me some of the 5 carp flies that were shown here early this year Two that were pictured and three with a little variation. He also made a few LARGE San Juan flies that I scent-up. Belive me they all worked very well. His shop is considered a cottage shop no letter sign allowed. But you will see a "GIANT fishing fly" hanging on his door behind a picket fence as you come in to town. Stop by,say hi and check out his flies (steelhead),and guide service. He's been around since Columbus.Tony

Yep. I saw the painted fly by the road and had to turn around. What a stand-up guy. As much as I'd like to take him up on his offer to let me borrow his gear, I'd rather compensate him for his steelhead services. I can tell by his talk, the guy knows his water.

I've lived in Austin for 6 years. It's time to get away from the sprawl. My fianceé is an Oregon graduate. I've never really cared about the Longhorns. Go Ducks!

jamisonace
jamisonace
That is exceptionally generous of that guy. I'll have stop in there next time I'm in PC. I Love that place. I stay with a friend there that has a house on the river just upstream from the bridge. Great fishing there. Hope you have luck.