Steelies slowing but still good

S
specreck
I fished below Leb. Dam all week this week and was able to score this nice Prize. The fishing at the beginning of the week was amazing, the bite was strong and fast for many.....just not for me..I'm still working on putting "my time" into it as the experienced ones say. As the water levels dropped so has the bite. People are still catching consistently but the numbers are down and I've noticed that smaller fish are being caught. It looked like light colored orange corkies and either small amount of yarn (orange) or none at all was working. Also seen a lot of fish being caught on tiny red UV beads above their #2 and 1/0 hooks. Good luck to all!

• IMG954759.jpg
Reactions: Slick
R
RunWithSasquatch
Gotta be the biggest small fish ive ever seen!

Nice fish!

A
Airs98
That's a big buck! What was the weight?

troutdude
troutdude
That's a NICE steelie.

But, I'm confused. You posted under "McKenzie River". But, you said that you were fishing below the Lebanon Dam. So, were you on the Mac, or the S. Santiam?

18406ej
18406ej
I think he means Leaburg Dam on the McKenzie, about 25 miles East of Springfield. It is a beautiful spot, if you have never been there, with stocked trout above the dam and steelies/salmon below. It also has a nice park area and a really cool hatchery with viewing pond. If you have kids it is well worth visiting.

J
JeannaJigs
Damn nice fish for what I've been seeing come out of there lately as far as steelhead go! Nice!

troutdude
troutdude
18406ej said:
I think he means Leaburg Dam on the McKenzie, about 25 miles East of Springfield. It is a beautiful spot, if you have never been there, with stocked trout above the dam and steelies/salmon below. It also has a nice park area and a really cool hatchery with viewing pond. If you have kids it is well worth visiting.

Oh okay. Actually I have been there once. I fished the reservoir, and looked around the hatchery a bit. It is a pretty neat place.

S
specreck
It's a neat spot that i got turned onto this year. Lots of fish being caught. Go below the dam, follow the road through the hatchery until it turns into gravel until you see a lot of cars parked and go to the river. Lots of nice runs through there. Go past the hatchery, you actually drive past the holding tank past the ladder. Call a head and find out if you can recycle dates. I here they release those caught a little ways down at Greenwood landing. I imagine the following days would bring good catches as those fish make it back up that way.

R
rippin fish lips
i wouldnt say its slowin down? i been slayin em, hooked one today in some boily water with a spoon. The fish jumped about 4 times before spitting the hook

S
specreck
i would have to say it's slower compared to about 4-6 days ago when the water was higher and the catch frequency on the bank where i was at was more consistent. yes, some people are still slaying them...just not this one.

R
rippin fish lips
yeah true, that is a nice fish tho!!

F
Fish-N-Chips
Top Ramen, Oatmeal and Steelhead.....Breakfast of champions:lol: I was able to tie into a nice one last year up at Leaburg. Beautiful looking fish bro. Try a nightmare jig or any small black/red/white combo the next time your up there and you might be bringing home two:cool:

F
fish4life
I don't know. Oatmeal and steelhead just doesn't sound appetizing to me. Ramen sounds ok

B
bran_man
that's a pretty nice looking cutter! And the run is no where near slowing down! It is peak of the run if anything. the run is just now starting to get good/ consistent. Yes, the water is getting a little lower, but that just means that the fish are moving to different waters. I've been doing great! I've been at least hooking (if not landing) at least one each time I go out. Just saying... And what I love to do with leftover steel (which is pretty rare) from the grill, I like to flake it up and either make an omelet or mix it into some scrambled eggs! OH MAN!!!! SOOOO GOOD!

R
rippin fish lips
bran_man said:
that's a pretty nice looking cutter! And the run is no where near slowing down! It is peak of the run if anything. the run is just now starting to get good/ consistent. Yes, the water is getting a little lower, but that just means that the fish are moving to different waters. I've been doing great! I've been at least hooking (if not landing) at least one each time I go out. Just saying... And what I love to do with leftover steel (which is pretty rare) from the grill, I like to flake it up and either make an omelet or mix it into some scrambled eggs! OH MAN!!!! SOOOO GOOD!

yeah thats what i thought... i think hey are just peaking cuz of the late run this year... hense the watere being at 51 degrees last time i checked it.... game on! i been hooking a few here in there only to land the next ones i hook. i have lost 2 since the last 5 i landed.