Winter steelhead fishing on the Santiam

R
rookieman
Does anyone know how good winter steelhead fishing is on the Santiam? First year going out and new to all of this. Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Thanks

J
JeannaJigs
It's not heavily fished...it's all natives (with some leftover snakey lookin' hatchery summers hanging around), the numbers vary each year sometimes it's good, sometimes...well, it's not. I don't fish it really myself regularly because I go coastal in the winter, so can't offer much feedback, other than I know the North gets more than the South, but both get some. I know people that do fish this run though, and hope that they might chime in here, or PM you, as it is a sensitive native run that we try to avoid pillaging.

troutdude
troutdude
Also, all natives MUST be released this time of the year. If their NOT missing a fin; then they go back in. So, all you can really keep are old, worn out, not good table fare, summer run hatchery fish. Not really worth a trip, to me. Not, when their are coastal streams with BIG, FRESH, fish to keep!

S
Steeliekiller
Grew up steelheading the n. Santiam, as well as, catching my bigest out of that river. It is true tho mostly native. So if you're looking for some low pressure winter fun hit the n. Santiam. And don't use a night crawler and do not put a flat green corkey above it they hate that. ;) good luck.

R
rookieman
Thanks guys for all the input. HELPFUL infor. Maybe i'll hit the coast too. Sounds like some good fishing

A
autofisher
If you're looking for keepers, definitely go coastal. I've caught some great fish on the Santiam, but since they've been working on the fish hatchery up at Minto it's been much slower.

S
SailCat
The Santiams get about 25 % of the steelhead that cross Willamette Falls. With recent counts right around 200 and only single digits crossing daily, there aren't enough fish in the North Santiam to target yet. It may be worthwhile to do so in February depending on water conditions and how run numbers stack up.

While many in the community feel that they should just be left alone to propagate, some steelheaders truly enjoy catching (and releasing) wild fish. These same folks also commonly enjoy solitude, of which there's a seasonal abundance on the North Santiam.

Good luck & report back!

Reactions: rogerdodger
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
and to quote from the permanent regs.: "Barbless hooks are advised for fisheries where the release of fish is anticipated."

so pinch down those barbs!

S
SailCat
Good addition!