E
everett464
image.jpgimage.jpg

L
Logger707
That sucks that's why I build my own

T
TimberTodd
Yes that does SUCK. I hope you had another rod with you so the trip wasn't a total loss.

jamisonace
jamisonace
That does suck. That's why I buy rods with warranties. Send it back, echo will take care of you.

T
Throbbit _Shane
That's why I always bring two rods fishing. Hate to end a day of fishing early.

E
everett464
Sadly, that's my only steelhead rod, so my day was over before it started. Glad to have a warranty. I'll call Echo tomorrow. Hopefully they can hook me up sooner than later - I could smell the steelhead coming up the willamette.

It was beautiful out there with the ice on the bank and the sun shining. And no one was catching anything anyway. At least I have an excuse.

J
JeannaJigs
I thought this was going to be a photo of a beautiful first cast fish...and then my eyes feasted upon tragedy of the worst kind. Hope that gets replaced quickly for you!

P
plumb2fish
I hate getting snagged up...I too learned the hard way to point the tip of the rod at the snag and pull straight back....

K
Knot Fishing Sober
JeannaJigs said:
I thought this was going to be a photo of a beautiful first cast fish...and then my eyes feasted upon tragedy of the worst kind. Hope that gets replaced quickly for you!

I thought the same thing. Sorry about your rod Everett.

E
everett464
I wish it HAD been a picture of some steel.

F
flytrekker1007
Thats not uncommon with echo. I had 2 friends break three of them until we figured out that the echo's ferrules tend to come apart easily when casting. You just have to check them often. In the summer the rod expands a bit with heat so the ferrules stay together better, but in the winter they don't stay together as well. Can't really tell where yours broke, but I just thought i'd share the info. By the way, echo has a great warranty and I think it took my buddies a few weeks to get a new rod.

S
SOMCREW
Ouch!

J
JeannaJigs
flytrekker1007 said:
Thats not uncommon with echo. I had 2 friends break three of them until we figured out that the echo's ferrules tend to come apart easily when casting. You just have to check them often. In the summer the rod expands a bit with heat so the ferrules stay together better, but in the winter they don't stay together as well. Can't really tell where yours broke, but I just thought i'd share the info. By the way, echo has a great warranty and I think it took my buddies a few weeks to get a new rod.

Echo has one of the best warranties, I don't have any in my arsenal but know plenty of people that do, and they've always been treated right, very quickly.

C
ChezJfrey
flytrekker1007 said:

If that is the case, I was having a similar issue with my rod and found somewhere that suggested rubbing some wax on the end of the piece before inserting; that does a pretty good job of keeping them tight.

F
flytrekker1007
Weird because I have a st.croix switch with tight ferrules and the st. croix rod rep said the wax was so they wont stick together and make it easier to pull them apart. This is on a st.croix though.The biggest thing here is, always keep in mind to check the ferrules. Lets say for example, its a summer morning and im putting my rod together and its about 55-60 degrees. Ill continue to check the ferrules until it really starts to get warm. As soon as it reaches 80-90 degrees, the ferrules arent coming apart what so ever during your cast. Infact, I was on the Umpqua last summer and I had to figure out what the problem was, because the rod wasn't coming apart when I was trying to pack up. I figured the heat had something to do with it. I reached into my cooler and grabbed a piece of ice and rubbed the ferrules for a few minutes. They came right apart. If was pretty interesting.

ChezJfrey said:
If that is the case, I was having a similar issue with my rod and found somewhere that suggested rubbing some wax on the end of the piece before inserting; that does a pretty good job of keeping them tight.

C
ChezJfrey
flytrekker1007 said:
Weird because I have a st.croix switch with tight ferrules and the st. croix rod rep said the wax was so they wont stick together and make it easier to pull them apart. This is on a st.croix though.The biggest thing here is, always keep in mind to check the ferrules. Lets say for example, its a summer morning and im putting my rod together and its about 55-60 degrees. Ill continue to check the ferrules until it really starts to get warm. As soon as it reaches 80-90 degrees, the ferrules arent coming apart what so ever during your cast. Infact, I was on the Umpqua last summer and I had to figure out what the problem was, because the rod wasn't coming apart when I was trying to pack up. I figured the heat had something to do with it. I reached into my cooler and grabbed a piece of ice and rubbed the ferrules for a few minutes. They came right apart. If was pretty interesting.

Yeah, I've had the same experience on cool morning/hot day and have had to soak the connection in cool water to get apart.

Here's an example of the wax blurb:
http://midcurrent.com/2013/04/30/quick-tip-wax-your-ferrules-to-avoid-broken-fly-rods/

Thinking about it a bit, I think it's conceivable that the wax does both things -- keep them together when casting, and making it easier to pull apart at the end of the session. It probably creates enough tack to prevent slippage during flex/vibration of use, but if actively pulled apart, will also guard against an expanded rod becoming stuck because there is that small amount of malleable material in between.

F
flytrekker1007
What model was your echo?

E
everett464
Its a three piece Solo 8 Wt.

H
Herefishyfishy
I have the same problems with the ferrules on my Echo Switch. I have to constantly check and tighten.

H
halibuthitman
Herefishyfishy said:
I have the same problems with the ferrules on my Echo Switch. I have to constantly check and tighten.

That is a result of poor casting form .. Not the rod, my $900 dollar Scott switch does the same thing starting about 3 or 4 in the afternoon-