All-time fly

K
Kais
Ok, I don't know if there was already a thread like this, but what are your favorite flies of all time.
You going to any river, and you get one dry and one nymph/wet. What are you favorites?
And let's assume that the species is trout, but you can give your favorites for any species.

troutdude
troutdude
Olive Green Woolly Bugger.

Black "Teeney style" Nymph.

S
Spydeyrch
troutdude said:
Olive Green Woolly Bugger.

Black "Teeney style" Nymph.

Is the Olive Green Woolly Bugger considered a Dry Fly??

As for me, I would go wtih a stimulator for the dry, probably a size 12 or 16. For the dry, I would go with a ...... beaded red copper john, any size 16 to 24. I have had a lot of luck with them lately. :D

-Spydey

S
steelhead_slayer
nymph -- stonefly

dry -- no see um

troutdude
troutdude
Whoops. Read the original post too fast...and didn't spot the "dry" fly category. No, a Woolly is not a dry. Thanks Spydey.

I should never paid such close attention, in my "Evelyn Red Head Sped Reddin' Course". (Let's see if anyone picks up on that reference...LOL).

M
mlw
Parachute Adams
Posse Bugger

G
Growbug
Orange Stim sz14
Bead Head Copper John sz16

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
L
lilsalmon
Randy, Randy, Randy.....we are going to have to get you on some moving water.....:D

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
Reactions: brandon4455
F
FlyBum
This is a tough call, saw something like this on the FAOL board a while back, but they included streamers. For me it would be a Stimmy cause you can imitate so much with it. Than this flashback PT type thing that I never leave home without. These two flies I tie with some slight variations and different materials than your "standards," but haven't been goose egged in some time now.

F
fisherwilly
Parachute Adams 14 and Hares Ear Nymph in 12 to 14. I have caught the most fish on those two flies, and they are easy to tie (for me). Those smaller stimulators are awesome as well, especially with larger caddis and smaller stones like the yellow sallies on the water at the same time.

I
I <3 <><
Spydeyrch said:
Is the Olive Green Woolly Bugger considered a Dry Fly??

As for me, I would go wtih a stimulator for the dry, probably a size 12 or 16. For the dry, I would go with a ...... beaded red copper john, any size 16 to 24. I have had a lot of luck with them lately. :D

-Spydey

Nope, wooly buggers are considered streams.

My favorite flies would just be, a small skeeter. Or really any small dry. And a wooly worm or bugger. Wait I have to add san juan worm to the list. Those worm good for just about anything as well.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
soft hackle wet (if i had to pick a body color, say red or peacock, or natural hares ear)

generic fan wing dry, tan or olive

R
R.Gertken
Parachute adams 14 and beaded flashback pheasant tail 16

Last edited:
K
KevinB
Yellow Stimulator for the dry...Purple egg sucking leech for subsurface...Every species I've caught, I've brought to hand at least one on the leech including my first steelhead recently. I don't mean to "bloviate" as Bill would say, but This includes King, Chum, and Pink salmon as well as all the trout species that I can think of...Largemouth, smallmouth, Northern Pike and even a halibut.(yeah, it was only about 4 inches long but it was a halibut)

brandon4455
brandon4455
size 12 royal stimulator for dry and size 12 posse bugger with rubber legs and ice dub body for nymph