I got my drift boat !

J
JeepsAreBuilt
I finally found my drift boat last weekend ! Its a 16' 52" bottom clackacraft fiberglass driftboat made in 1988. I have already took it out once to silverton reservoir to try it out. I was a little overwhelmed on how it rowed.. it was also windy.. so I did some zig-zags across the lake :lol: My ore also fell apart right off the bat - they are wooden 9' oars with rubber donut stoppers that sits on top of rope thats wound on the ore. It popped off and I wasn't able to get it back in place. Luckily I also got a spare ore with the boat and put that in place.. its a aluminum one, it worked ok for a while until the plastic started to chafe on the ore lock. It would stick and made it difficult to turn the ore.

I am new to drift boating and still need to figure out a few things. So I'm hoping some of you guys can help me out or point me to a good resource for info. I need a way to fix my ore. I need some rope for my anchor, I got an anchor but no rope. I also do not know how to function the anchor pulley system it has on it. Finally.. After another lake trip I want to try a river ! :clap: So, whats the easiest float out there for a beginner ? I'd like to go camping somewhere I can launch and then have my wife pick me up down the river. Something like that would be ideal.

I got pics of the boat coming !

E
eggs
Stash a spare plug in the boat.. nothing like being a mile downriver taking on water to realize your plug is in the glovebox of the truck..

S
SantiamDrifter
Clackacraft has a 3 part video on youtube for new DB owners.

S
steelhead1
How did the oar fall apart (rope unravelled,wood separation ect)?what type of pulley system does it have (along the floor,around the rail,hanging pulley off of the davit)?I can probably help you out,but I need more info!The santiam river from I-5 or Jefferson to Buena Vista is an exellent float for cutting your riverteeth,it has some mild riffles and turns and is fairly close to salem.:D

D
dangerranger
when i bought my drift boat i found a guide service out of eugene that did drift lessons on the mckenzie... i can't remember his name but im sure if you google it you can find it. I belive it cost me like 100 bucks or something like that but that was about 5 years ago.. but he gave me a lot of pointers and at the end of the day i felt very comfortable contoling my boat.

R
rippin fish lips
i know the Helfriches do that guide service. i forgot there first names lol :eek:

D
dangerranger
Now i remember lol i went with dave mccoy with emerald water angler guide service, dave is the owner and head guide

G
Growbug
congrats on getting a drifter.. thats just the start of the addiction

J
JeepsAreBuilt
Heres the boat ! s0zl3d.jpg

Heres a pic of the pulley system. I dont have any rope for it.. what kind and size should I get and where at ?

w0ntjp.jpg

These are the oars I have for the boat.. one of them the rubber stopper has slipped off.. and the other one looks to just about to. I got an idea how to fix it.. boil the rubber in water so it'll expand and I could slip it back over the rope thats on the oar.

2lue7m.jpg

Also, I have 2 plus and an extra oar lock.. thanks for the tips. Any more?

G
GDBrown
You have found a great looking boat! Congratulations! However don't use hot water on the rubber it won't expand them enough to help. You need to roll it back on the rope then it will move around a little easier. If it's too easy it will just slide OFF again so lubrication is not a good idea either. From the looks of your pulley system I'm guessing that he front part (inside the boat) has an auto lock part to it. If you slide the rope in from the back my will find that it pushed out a swinging part with a hole in it and your rope goes through the hole and when it is released under tension the rope slide out and when the tension is relaxed the rope will lock in place. To retrieve the anchor just pull the rope in. I have a similar lock on my boat. You want to get as large of diameter rope as possible and have it still go through the hole easily. I'm guessing half inch but without seeing it I can't be certain. As for the extra oar lock.... mine came with pins that held them in place and I replaced them with small padlocks.

R
Razz
Welcome too the drift boat world something new ever trip . OLD guy with 46 yrs of trips.

J
JeepsAreBuilt
46 years of drifting.. wow ! :)

I got my oar fixed.. rolled it on and shimmed it in place. It was pretty hard but I got it on. I took it out to another lake yesterday and rowed it around... I dont think I want to take it in another lake again, not without a boat motor of some kind. The boat likes to go all over the place ! As I was rowing, I'm constantly correcting its course.

I looked at the anchor pulley system some more.. it has a swivel out thing with a hole in it, and sounds like what you are talking about GDBrown. I just gotta figure out the size rope now.

I'm still trying to find some good areas to take my boat in for a float other than the Jefferson- Buena Vista. Also, how do you guys organize trips or find other drift boat owners to float a river with ?

T
Throbbit _Shane
Now you need to buy some kwik fish! :D

R
Razz
Throbbit _Shane said:
Now you need to buy some kwik fish! :D

Hint= No rattles in clear water trick from old guide on the Sac river 1975-80