Winter steelhead fishing on Siuslaw River

A
Aton
Hi all,

Being new to fishing Salmon/Steelhead I have more questions than answers. So question...Being that I have no drift boat, but do have a fiberglass boat, do people have any success in the lower stretch of river? Last year was my first year at this and I banked it along Whitaker. Caught a few and learned a lot. If there is chance of success I was hoping to pull plugs around the brackish water. Certainly not every fish is making a mad dash for the trap! Or are they?:sad: Input appreciated

Aton...

hobster
hobster
I've done some bank fishing on the lower river and had some success, but they head up pretty quick. Unlike summers they don't hang out in the rivers, I've heard they can get to the trap in 3 or 4 days (the Slaw isn't very long). They ain't up there yet and they have to go through the lower river to get there, so give it a shot and good luck!

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
I stopped in the local watering hole here in Mapleton sunday and heard a few success stories off the banks for steelhead.

Good Luck

T
Throbbit _Shane
Give Plumb2Fish a message. He can give you the info on floating this river in your boat.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
one of the river fishing maps shows the stretch from Mapleton Landing to top of tide as a boat/float stretch for winters but I haven't confirmed that yet...