Cold weather steelhead tactics?

T
TimberTodd
I am hoping to have an opportunity Sunday to toss flies on the Wilson for steelhead. With the colder temps what style of presentation would you concentrate on, swinging wets, egg patterns?

H
halibuthitman
I would use 8 lb fluoro a beotch creek nymph to a teeny nymph dropper, or get scandalous and run a 12 mm orange or peach bead under an indicator-

T
TimberTodd
I have no problems being scandalous. Thanks for the input HHM.

H
halibuthitman
the swirled white blue and peach hevi-bead is a Wilson slayer.. they have them a Dicks in Hilsboro

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
Scandalous-

S
skunk
halibuthitman said:
the swirled white blue and peach hevi-bead is a Wilson slayer.. they have them a Dicks in Gresham-

Do you use any extra wt. with the hevi-beads under an indicator? Or do they sink ok alone.

H
halibuthitman
no weight, you should always use as little weight as possible with beads. Hevi beads get down just fine on their own.

O
OnTheDrop
I've wondered about those hevi beads.. Them being so heavy you would think they wouldn't look natural coming down the river where as a normal bead will act more true to a real egg heading down river...Buoyancy etc...

But.. I guess my question is answered if HHM says they work.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Pink egg sucking leech or peach glo bug under a thingamabobber. I usually reach for the leech first if the water has a good green tint to it and go to the glo but if its clear. Good luck

T
TimberTodd
Thanks for everyones input. OFF wouldn't load yesterday so I am doing catch up. I am going to check Dicks in Hillsboro for the beads. Its a lot closer than Gresham.

R
Rain
TimberTodd said:
OFF wouldn't load yesterday so I am doing catch up.
Ah i was beginning to think i was the only one. OFF wouldn't load for me yesterday or the day before that i think (maybe it was just 1 day? seems like 2)