looking for a good hike in lake!

W
willm350
Ok so I had my sights set on marion lake but just found out that they have a permanent fire ban.....me and my hiking buddies are all in our 20's and all have a fetish for ending the day in the woods with a fire and some drinks :). so what Im looking for is a lake maybe 100 or 150 miles from portland with a 2 or 3 mile hike and I gotta be able to have a camp fire! Oh yeah and catching some fish would be cool too. open to any suggestions, the distance(both driving and hiking) are aprox. Especially if the lake is worth it! Thanks again for every one that shared there knowledge about marion and especially to bank walker it would of been disasterious if I had made it up there to find out I can't have a fire(I also do a lot of my cooking by fire).

Troutski
Troutski
Erma Bells

Erma Bells

I recommend the Erma Bells, very nice hike in lakes. As for fire I would contact the US Forest service, let them know where you are headed and they will give you the skinny.
These lakes (4) are great lakes for Brookies and Cutties, along with some planters.
Good luck and tight lines.

Chuck

Reactions: halibuthitman
troutdude
troutdude
Get yourself a copy of the "Complete Angler's Guide to Oregon" by John Shewey. There are so many hike-in lakes and other great info, that one could spend a lifetime trying to get to all of them. Many local Fly and / or Bait/Tackle shops have the book. And the second Edition just came out.

I hope that doesn't sound impolite. It's not meant to. It's just a great book, that will help you find places to hike to and fish.

Last edited:
B
BankWalker
I've been trying to find a good place in the Mt Hood National Forest. If you find a fun spot I'd like to hear about it.

B
Brookiebuster
Where ever you decide to go make sure you have plenty of bug spray as the skeeters can be bad this time of year!

W
willm350
TD-
didn't sound rude at all. I have "Fishing in Oregon" by madelynne Sheehan and it seems to be a really good reference book. The biggest problem I have is actually sifting through all the lakes in it and was just kind of hoping some people had some personal experience to help with the sorting :) Is the book your talking about more in depth than "Fishing in Oregon"?

Troutski-
Thanks for the advice. When I was looking in to these it was mentioned that some 14" rainbows are pretty common in the middle lake any experience with these?

troutdude
troutdude
Whew! Thank you Willm. My 7th Ed. of "Fishing in Oregon" is a lot thinner than the current "model"; so more lakes n' streams are covered now in that book. And for decades that book has been my Bible for local fishing information. And my copy, is suffering major dog ears due to HEAVY use!

However, "Complete Anglers Guide" seems, to me at least, to have a LOT more information. And I have the 1st Edition, published in 2007. A new (2nd) Edition is now available. So, I bet it is even better and more comprehensive. One nice feature in this book, is that under the title of each lake...it is listed as "hike in", or "c & r , no bait", or "boat recommended", or "float tube recommended", or "campground", or "no motors", or "fly only", etc. etc. etc.

What I would suggest, is to look at a copy of each of the newest editions. Then, do a side by side comparison and see what you think.

L
Logger707
As of last week it is officialy fire season so where ever you hike,no fire,unless it is in an approved fire pit and u have a shovel and a bucket of water or fire extiguisher

troutdude
troutdude
Good of you to chime in Logger.

Any time that I build a legal fire, I have a shovel, a bucket of water, and a bucket of dirt on standby. It can't hurt to be "too" safe out there.