Upriver or downriver?

B
bigboy70
Where do y'all start? Upriver or downriver and why?
Just curious and interested.

I personal like to start downriver and head up.
Thats just because its what has felt natural to do for me anyways

H
halibuthitman
I was always taught to fish up river, approaching a fish from its blind spot, this of course doesn't matter much on rivers like the sandy or clack, but on big creek, gnat or say the necanicum it could be all the difference in the world. It also allows you to walk down stream or down hill at the end of a long day of fishing. In the grande scheme of things Ive come to the conclusion it doesn't really matter, but in rare instances could-

Casting Call
Casting Call
I blv if u start dn riv and wk ur wy up riv u wil b les likly 2 let ur pry no u are cumng by spred of micros/noise. Approching frm th blind side is gd also and easy to walk back 2 camp/play a fish cuz u been their. the ony dn side is mending if u can't high stick. Just say'n. Tony

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Casting Call said:
I blv if u start dn riv and wk ur wy up riv u wil b les likly 2 let ur pry no u are cumng by spred of micros/noise. Approching frm th blind side is gd also and easy to walk back 2 camp/play a fish cuz u been their. the ony dn side is mending if u can't high stick. Just say'n. Tony

x2 :hi:

Casting Call
Casting Call
Thanks rd! Not to say I won't throw hdw. down stream through a seam and up stream with jigs, bait or flies. Tony

O
OnTheDrop
On the Clack I would start up top and work my way down...I can really comb the water and hit every inch of it thoroughly this way. Has worked for me too...

HHM makes a great point on smaller systems.

Good luck,

C
ChezJfrey
For me, my approach depends on several factors including the shape of the river, amount of bank available, bushes/trees, boulders, and what type of gear I'm using. Some places it is more conducive to get well above the run/stretch I think the fish are, out of their sight, then work down through the fishy lies. Others, I need to work from behind, out of their vision, then upward. I usually go with what seems easiest that still allows for success, and in some cases, I don't care because it probably doesn't make much difference.

But like SteelmonKiller20, on the Clack I am usually working from top to bottom. There is a spot on the Wilson that is easiest for me to work top to bottom, but in order to get there, I have to crawl along the bank because I can't get behind the trees and the water is skinny. Another spot on the Wilson, I have to work bottom and up because the fish lies are right on the bank and I can't get by them without a spook risk.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Depends on how you are fishing and where. Over in the far southeast part of the state is a great little rive called the Donner and Blitzen. The bottom of the river is loose soil so when you take a step a big billowing dirt cloud shows up in the water, so there it is best to fish from the bottom up. Now on the Sandy if you are after steelhead you want to work from the top of a pool to the tailout. I assume we are talking about bank fishing, but as an example of fishing from the top down, when pulling plugs out of a drift boat part of the plan is to push those fish down to the tailout where they get cranky enough to slam the plug. On the Crooked River wading out to the center and casting back toward the bank has been a good way to go and yes that is an working you way up stream. The fish hold in the cut banks to avoid predators, they look up stream for their food supply, casting up stream and letting the fly come into the fishs zone can produce some real fun.

Last edited:
B
bigboy70
yes from the bank irish.

lots of strategies to keep in mind i guess for me since i learned when fish are resting or what not there pointing upstream. so sneaking up from downstream was always it. (honestly i was following the bud i was with 90% of the time)

Y
Youngfishermen
Just go Up River (SAFEWAY) And You will always catch some salmon, my Favorite way to catch them using Green Paper, They are usually about @12 a lb, GOOD LUCK maybe even try down river (Walmart)

T
troutmasta
Casting Call said:

Is this a text message?

C
ChezJfrey
troutmasta said:
Is this a text message?

LOL. I was wondering the same thing when I tried to read it.

D
DrTheopolis
Depends if you mean overall for the day, or once you're at the run.

As far as the large picture, it completely depends on which way the road goes to the river. If I head west, I start upstream (usually). If I head east, it's bottom-to-top.

Once I walk to the river... pretty much what these guys said. Bigger water with limited visibility, top to bottom, but I don't really care. Small water or clear water, always bottom to top.

But I prefer to be in a driftboat, where there's only one direction (unless you circle back up along the slow water along the edge, which seems to get some plug hits on occasion).

1 nut in the water
Trout-Down stream- I like to start at the top and work my way into the hole as the first cast will often get a fish that will usually choose to go airborne and spook the rest. Yard him out quick and work my way down.
Steel- Up stream- I like to throw spoons upstream so that when they get into the zone they are even or just below where i am standing. All about the sweep into the seam.................