Beginner fly fishing questions opinions comments

B
bigboy70
what weight rod can you use for steelhead and salmon?
i would like a one handed rod not a spay rod and seen lots of different options and opinions i was thinking a 7 or 8
but what brands are decent and same question for reels (i know gloomis make a good spinning and bait casting rod but it could be different for fly fishing)

W
waco
If you are getting frustrated with gear fishing for salmon and steelhead :yikes: you gonna be crying fly fishing for them!!!:sad: It's much harder with a fly!! :hi:

H
halibuthitman
oh, I don't know about that, are you trying to scare this fella or what? fish just surrender to my flyrod;)

B
bigboy70
More overwhelmed lol learning a lot very quick I have a notebook started lol for Salmon bobbers are new I know how to drift steelhead most ive fished for them is they happened to be with salmon so steelhead is a new beast for me and i slay it I originally wanted to fly fish from get go gear fishing was easyier to learn on my own and much faster or so I heard

P
plumb2fish
Pick ONE method, get good at it, expand from there..if you want to fly fish for salmon and steel, learn to cast first...walk before run...if gear fishing, start with one technique, say drift fishing, once you can consistently catch fish drifting, try hardware, then bobbers,ect....

D
DirectDrive
bigboy70 said:
what weight rod can you use for steelhead and salmon?
i would like a one handed rod not a spay rod and seen lots of different options and opinions i was thinking a 7 or 8
but what brands are decent and same question for reels (i know gloomis make a good spinning and bait casting rod but it could be different for fly fishing)
7 or 8 wt is steelhead power.
Chinook salmon are bigger and require more power.

The best time to embark on this journey is summer and the quarry would be summer steelhead.
They are aggressive and easier to catch than winters with a flyrod.

Oh, this is bb.....nevermind.

:D

B
bigboy70
plumb2fish said:
Pick ONE method, get good at it, expand from there..if you want to fly fish for salmon and steel, learn to cast first...walk before run...if gear fishing, start with one technique, say drift fishing, once you can consistently catch fish drifting, try hardware, then bobbers,ect....

Got drifting down I'm confident in that only technique ive used bobbed for trout and realized it dam similar to salmon and steelhead rig ups I did get a 5/6 wt little for Christmas and been practicing casting but as of now I fish lakes for trout and know its hard to fly Stillwater so haven't bothered to bring it with now that I'm getting more gear (waders and tools) I wannabe it a go but for steelhead hence the questions about it

B
bigboy70
DirectDrive said:
7 or 8 wt is steelhead power.
Chinook salmon are bigger and require more power.

The best time to embark on this journey is summer and the quarry would be summer steelhead.
They are aggressive and easier to catch than winters with a flyrod.

Oh, this is bb.....nevermind.

:D

Thanks

T
Tight Lines
plumb2fish said:

Howdy :hi:

I'm new to fly fishing in Oregon as well!

I believe A 5 wt. works just great on trout, as I have used in the past in other spots.
would you say A 7-8 would work just fine on salmon or steelhead??
or would it be wise to just test the waters with a bobber, or spinner?

Again, I have no idea what I'm going against here:sad:

M
Moe
Stick to gear. Fly fisherman are lame :D

T
Tight Lines
Moe said:
Stick to gear. Fly fisherman are lame :D

you must have been hanging out with the wrong fly fisherman :yikes:

M
Moe
I don't like them, they always catch my fish

W
waco
Moe said:
I don't like them, they always catch my fish

We can't fish together then! :D

B
bigboy70
Come on Moe of ya can't beat them join em

H
halibuthitman
because the world needs "one" more flyfisherman...

M
Moe
Maybe I'll take up fly fishing to **** brad OFF :D

T
Tinker
Good Lord, Lad, can't you punctuate your posts? I get vertigo trying to read anything you post. You offend me, sir, by not considering those who may try to read what your stubby little fingers are jabbing out on your iPhone.

Nonetheless, let me make an attempt at answering what I believe might have been a question buried in that word jumble.

It's not just line weight, it's also the action of the rod, the technique you want to learn, the season you want to fish, the type of flies you need to use, the type of drag you want for the reel, the line capacity of the reel...

And I'm not even trying to make it sound complicated. You'll have more fun if everything works with everything else and if it suits the type of fly-fishing you hope, someday, in the distant future, to do. That means you have to consider all of those separate parts to assemble a useful tool.

If you're new to the sport, take the smart route: put down your iPhone, and visit a fly shop in your area and ask questions. Then come back here and ask for opinions about the answers you received. There's no better way to learn about the options than to go out and actually handle the gear.

Be more patient about learning about fly-fishing than you are when learning to type. You're at least a year away from being proficient enough to worry about name brands and top-shelf rods and reels, and if you're as lackadaisical about learning to fly fish as you are about learning grammar and punctuation, it may be more like 5 years. Probably 10...

Good luck.

B
bigboy70
my internet is being dumb. this is the third time i am trying to respond. so the reply has gotten shorter and more to the point.
yes i am aware of the punctuation problem other OFF member informed me, and i have corrected the problem.
firstly thank you for your reply, i have learned there are many ways to go about fly fishing.
as for you being an ass that was uncalled for and rude. because you have no idea who i am, what i do, or how i do it.
insulting someone dosent help period you could of left it at that first sentence.

Thanks again!

T
Tinker
And yet my eyes are still bleeding from run-on sentences, and the absence of upper-case letters and carriage returns. days and days after the issue of how hard it is to read these posts was first raised. I know it was already pointed-out to you, thus the last sentence...

How you use a data entry device has nothing to do with who you are or what you do, and neither does telling you that you need to slow down and punctuate reflect on you personally. Rude is not equal to being an ass, and trust me, you don't want to escalate this to name calling.

If you wish to explain your situation to me, please send a PM. If you believe you are due an apology after I understand you, then I will apologize here, in public.

In the meantime, get thee to a fly shop and handle the different gear. Listen to what the clerks have to say about good choices for someone just starting-out in fly fishing, and keep your wallet in your pocket until you come back here and talk about it some more.

I didn't. I decided last Winter to take up fly fishing. There isn't a fly shop for hundreds of miles, and the closest is inland and the passes were snowed-in. I thought I'd get a complete beginner's kit, sight unseen, through the Internet - and I bought a highly rated and well-reviewed package. The only things in the kit that weren't worthless were the backing on the reel and the carrying case. It was a mistake I would have easily avoided if I had cooled down and waited until I could drive to a shop.

Good luck. PM if you wish.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Stick to the topic, guys. No need for rudeness nor name calling.