Sandy River winter steelhead challenge!

B
Bhaley85
Who's gonna get the first keeper?
:popcorn:

C
champmclean570
Hopefully me. I'm thinking about doing a guided float. I've never caught a steelhead and i'm tired of getting skunked.

S
steelhead_slayer
champmclean570 said:
Hopefully me. I'm thinking about doing a guided float. I've never caught a steelhead and i'm tired of getting skunked.

I highly recommend Ed Fast

B
Bhaley85
How many times have you fished for them? I think youd be better off investing your money and time into fishing gear and research rather than a guide. Maybe find a fishing buddy that could help you hook one or two.

C
chinooks
I would go with the guide- once you get the technique down then your golden...

M
Moe
I think you know exactly who :D you'll net em' for me!
See you on the lower river in a month.
Until then I'll be at meldrum or the coast hammering the chums

B
Bhaley85
I guess i have a personal bias against guides. I prefer the clasic aproach to it. But to each their own. :peace:

B
Bhaley85
Challenge accepted i see! Id be glad to net your fish for ya Moe, if i see you out there. Ill be trying early, probably thanksgiving morning. Call me hopeful lol. Never fished for chum, but i also dont have a smoker.

C
champmclean570
I talked to Sky guides. I'll check out Ed Fast too. Any other recommendations?

I took the classical approach in my home state of PA. It takes a really long time.

M
Moe
I find it more satisfying when you get into a fish and never hired a guide, although with a guide i figure you skip the first year of learning

S
skunk
Ed Fast for the sandy for sure. He knows his stuff and its a fun trip. Whitewater and fishing combined. Plus running commentary, history, comedy all around good trips. Very affordable for what you get. It will be a full day plus...and trust me, he won't stop soon if the fishing is rough. Quite a few times we've gone till almost dark hunting fish. 10 hour days. Trust me on this one, I have been out with some terrible guides and he's first class.

C
champmclean570
I've been around the dodge park area 3 or 4 times. I've walked upstream and downstream from the garbage hole and dodge park. Fish were jumping and flashin right in front of me. It was embarrassing...

C
champmclean570
Also have a fishcat and i want to go down the river on a bigger boat before i go alone. I'm sure i'll be seeing some of you guys out there.

S
steelheader19
The key is a natural presentation and persistance

H
halibuthitman
Just one more cast..

C
champmclean570
I've certainly been persistant. I just need to learn better technique. I figure the best way to do that is to go with a guide. If I have to pay for it, I don't mind. It'll pay off in the long run.

H
halibuthitman
then call Ed Fast- 503-449-0195 or Aaron Shook- 503-820-8823

D
DrTheopolis
Anybody ever pull plugs out of a toon? Never tried it myself, but I'd think if a person was going to toon the river in winter/spring, seems like it might be a good way to go, assuming they had a way to carry both a plug rod and a gear/whatever rod.

Very productive technique, and easy to learn, since it's kind of automated.

H
halibuthitman
Its quite labor intensive to pull plugs with a raft or a toon-

O
OnTheDrop
DrTheopolis said:
Anybody ever pull plugs out of a toon? Never tried it myself, but I'd think if a person was going to toon the river in winter/spring, seems like it might be a good way to go, assuming they had a way to carry both a plug rod and a gear/whatever rod.

Very productive technique, and easy to learn, since it's kind of automated.

Before the drift boat in my life I pulled plugs out of my 9ft toon on the Clack/Sandy plenty.

Yes, there were plenty fish hooked.