Can I launch my kayak from here?

bass
bass
In looking at Google maps it looks like there is a left turn just past the W. Shore Drive (the road that crosses the dam) that runs down to the water.

In google maps the spot is here: 45.47633,-123.202111

Can you drive down to the water there? Would that be a decent spot to launch my kayak?

F
fishtales
Looks like 45.47633,-123.202111 is boat launch "A". Lots of motor boats on that side of the lake. You should be able to launch there.

It is calmer water over by boat ramp c. "the no wake zone".

bass
bass
fishtales said:
Looks like 45.47633,-123.202111 is boat launch "A". Lots of motor boats on that side of the lake. You should be able to launch there.

It is calmer water over by boat ramp c. "the no wake zone".

Thanks, I know that I can launch at ramp A or C. However, that little road down to the water looks like a great kayak launching spot. Is that a public road? Has anyone been down there?

F
fishtales
I see what you mean now. Not sure if you can or not.

B
Big3d
I've always seen a locked gate if we're talking about the same road... I don't think you can get all the way down in a vehicle.

bass
bass
Big3d said:
I've always seen a locked gate if we're talking about the same road... I don't think you can get all the way down in a vehicle.

Thanks, I kind of thought that might be the case since I have never heard of anyone launching a kayak except at the ramps.

D
DirectDrive
Been a long time since I've been there, but you might take a look at Sain Creek or one of the other arms and see if that would work.
Seems like I launched a pram at Sain Creek once.

bass
bass
Thanks DirectDrive. The ramps are fine to launch, but I figured if I could get even closer to the dam (when I wanted to fish along it) that would be nice.

T
TimberTodd
Bass,
Keep in mind that during low water levels you will have to contend with some pretty nasty clay mud along most of the banks.

P
PTownAngler
hey bass, I just fished Hagg Lake the other day, I was fishing from Ramp A. That would be the perfect spot to launch your kayak. The boat launch is nice good pavement and its kept up, also the parking lot is really close to the water. I imagine it would be very easy for one person to launch their kayak there. I haven't been to Ramp C but im guessing it should be pretty similar. And if you launch at Ramp A, it is a short paddle to get to the damn, Ramp C is farther.

B
bernduffy
I don't believe you can get close with vehicle at that point. You'll have to park in one of the very few pull outs on Scoggins Rd. Then it's a thousand feet to water. Also, its kind of steep. If you have a dolly you might work it out. Maybe try to go in on the other end of the dam at Elks park area? Depends on whether you can portage the yak. Otherwise I think you might bag a few on your way to/from the dam going out of ramp A. Good luck!

M
Moe
I hope you realize the fish in your avatar isn't a bass lol