Chrome-ageddon continues...Slaw-Silt doubleplay

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
today started with me still trying to get my Bro-in-law, Doug, into his first king salmon; Doug is a Puget Sound guy that has slayed plenty of pinks and silvers up there, both spinning and fly fishing, but never a chinook....all it took to get him into a king was a little help from a friend...

Igor (Les) could not join us to fish over the weekend, something about his wife's birthday :)thumb:), but he was good for Monday and Tuesday and would have his green and blue herring and red hooks ready to go. So we met up at 7am and trolled upriver straight away to make the most of the last hour or so of incoming tide, and just past the N.Fork, just after sunrise, it is fish-on for Les...soft hook-up but fighting deep and with increasing energy, and it becomes clear it is a Chinook, and Les hands the rod over to Doug. I asked him if he wanted to take the net but he declines and I remind him that he is forcing me to say nice things about him on the forum...he smiles and sits down to watch the show :popcorn:....it was a fairly standard Chinook fight, several deep runs and some in-and-out play near/under the boat...clear water all around us, only one boat anywhere near us and we are chatting with them the whole time, so no need to rush things...eventually Doug and I got positioned correctly and he steers the nose in my direction, bang in the net, 33" buck that went about 21#.

we troll to Cushman and start back and Doug has a nice take-down that might well have been another king but once he got the rod in hand, it was off...lots of fish on the sonar but not much catching going on around us, so at noon we head for Siltcoos to toss spinners...

sunny smooth lake and nothing much to see up the Maple Creek Arm, slow cruise back to by the inlet, just off Fish Mill Resort, and after 30min of casting and my Pink Bell Spinner (medium) gets slammed and it is go time, this coho wants to play, long run as I slowly adjust the drag, then changes direction and runs again, about to make a circle around the boat when it heads away and just runs out into the lake...I wanted to hand it off to Doug so it could go on his tag but we use opposite handed reels and this fish is too nice to risk losing, so I keep the rod and Doug takes the net, and eventually, after some very nervous jumping and head thrashing near the boat, right in the net. totally feisty 31" hen that went 13#. so my fishing day is over.

as I am relaxing and sipping coffee, Les hooks up on a Silver/Blue Bell Spinner, also medium, and starts fighting a nice sized coho, length probably in the mid-twenties, and it goes acrobatic and with a massive head shake snaps off his 8# leader! Doug and Les both cast on for another full hour but no more hook-ups...

we took the picture with both fish back at the Siltcoos launch and talked to the guy that lives there, the lake has dropped a foot or 2 and he confirmed the dam was opened and a bunch of fish came in a few days ago, fishing was hot for a day and has seriously cooled off since then...what was it Eugene1 said about Siltcoos?

I can't say enough nice things about Les, so I will not try, we will just meet up at the launch tomorrow and head out fishing again to try and continue the chrome-appaloosa. cheers, roger

Reactions: Admin
E
eugene1
That is a sick report,

Fish two systems in one day, and get into fish at both, so sweet! Glad you got Doug into one, I know it's great to get family into fish, but also kinda stressful!

I think I mentioned about that lake being a harsh mistress?, but it's too much fun when the bite is on and there are fish all over the place. Just got to put the time in and forget about the too often skunk days.

Best,

rogerdodger said:
what was it eugene1 said about Siltcoos? cheers, roger

D
DYJ
Killing it, Roger! Have you kept track of how many fish to your boat this fall? I bet it's a good number of em... nice work

T
troutmasta
Holy Smokes Rodge!

Ive got the wife packed and in the car. Should take us 2 hours to get there. Meet you at the dock?

:bleh: just kidding :lol:

but seriously............

I
Igor
Yeah, that is about the only way I can get anyone to say nice things about me :eagerness:

Actually, it was at the top of my list to send Doug home with his first nook. Was an absolute pleasure to help him out!

Had to bow out of fishing today though, Mrs. Igor (Linda) and I have been fighting off a bug for a few days and I was feeling under the weather. Then, lucky me, it is off to work at 0230 in the morning :sad:

Roger is an absolute joy to fish with, except, I hear that I am being replaced as faithful crew this week ;) Kill a couple for me you guys!

Les

Reactions: rogerdodger
M
mikeredding
Chrome-ageddon.................I love it!!
Once again, you guys are rocking it this year.
Great work.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
DYJ said:
Killing it, Roger! Have you kept track of how many fish to your boat this fall? I bet it's a good number of em... nice work

including today, just counting the tagged adults, I have it at 14 kings and 5 coho on the boat since Labor Day. great runs this year, lots of people just killin' here...we have been really lucky to only have lost 2 that hooked up, a king bent a hook to get off and the a coho snapped a leader...no netting screw ups so far this year!

love your avatar!

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
Roger the way you post a fishing story is like sitting down to read a good book I enjoy reading everyone you keep catching em and I'll keep reading em....god knows I'm not catching any :). Great job sir!

D
DYJ
Those are great numbers, keep it up.

I boat ho around so much, I don't keep track to the number of fish to my boat. But I do know that all this fall we've only had one skunked trip.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
GoBlueFan said:
Roger the way you post a fishing story is like sitting down to read a good book I enjoy reading everyone you keep catching em and I'll keep reading em....god knows I'm not catching any :). Great job sir!

thanks man, I am sure you will get into some big fish very soon: despite being a lifelong trout fisherman, I knew how to troll lakes for trout and kokes, but all I had done in saltwater was crab until 2 years ago. no charter trips, no guide trips, no salmon or steelhead caught ever. most of my early posts on OFF were related to crabbing.

then in late August 2011, first day salmon fishing ever, I hooked up a big nook below the 101 bridge, fought it for like 15minutes and lost it on a dock piling. we fished hard the rest of 2011 and ended up getting 3 nice coho and several jacks. Last year, after learning 3 or 4 more tricks the nooks use to get away (under the boat cut the line trick, hot netting hook snag leader snap trick, tail biting no hook-up trick, leader nicked on flasher trick), we finally got our first big shiny one late last Sept. and added 5 coho and a bunch of jacks before heading for Arizona in late Oct....and that brings us to this year which has been crazy...salmon are really not difficult to catch when they are in the water where you are fishing, but catching salmon requires figuring out how to do it, when to fish, and it also depends on the sort of water you are fishing in....it is easy and hard at the same time.

there sure is a learning curve and everyone has a different approach and dedication, I stubbornly fished for salmon using really bad techniques at first but kept at it, started finding ways to catch them, and adjusted and got massive tips from friends at OFF...and have been massively lucky this year so far....roger