First Siuslaw salmon landing

C
CoeRoe
My little boy and I went out fishin' on a whim and landed this amazing King. Largest fish I ever landed in a river. It definitely made for some serious happiness. My adrenaline is still kickin'.

• DSCN1760.jpg
P
plumb2fish
Great job

E
eugene1
Very nice! glad you are getting in on this year's bounty.

Best,

B
bran_man
Slaw is putting out some nice fish! Good job. The tug is the drug!

D
DYJ
Nice work.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
fantastic!

jamisonace
jamisonace
Awesome! Making me want to get back over there.

C
CoeRoe
bran_man said:
Slaw is putting out some nice fish! Good job. The tug is the drug!

The tug is definitely the drug. Feeling that much muscle fightin' the line and then, after a few moments of watching the line dart around the surface of the water, catching that first glimpse as it emerges from the depths and into view to reveal it's true girth... and it's on. I'm addicted. Usin' a medium rod with 10-lb test and a spinner: #4 silver blade with red tape on the back and silver body, red tube on the hook shank. It was pretty much the Jed Davis Winter Standard.

E
eugene1
That is so sweet and so true CoeRoe!

I hope you are just absolutely ruined for anything other than fishing for salmon now!!!

Only thing better than catching them yourself is getting your family and friends into them.

Best, and long live the Slaw kings,

CoeRoe said:
The tug is definitely the drug. Feeling that much muscle fightin' the line and then, after a few moments of watching the line dart around the surface of the water, catching that first glimpse as it emerges from the depths and into view to reveal it's true girth... and it's on. I'm addicted. Usin' a medium rod with 10-lb test and a spinner: #4 silver blade with red tape on the back and silver body, red tube on the hook shank. It was pretty much the Jed Davis Winter Standard.

D
DrTheopolis
You can't catch chinook on a medium rod with 10#.

Or so people on OFF told me.

D
DYJ
:clap: :lol:

C
CoeRoe
It's amazing what patience and good drag control can do. My other rod is geared for float-fishin' and it's medium-heavy with threaded line. I gotta get me another one of those geared up for spinner fishin', for sure.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
DrTheopolis said:
You can't catch chinook on a medium rod with 10#.

Or so people on OFF told me.

I sort of heard it differently, you can catch chinooks and cohos on lighter gear when casting/plunking for them...CoeRoe just provided an excellent example, rotating through several lures on medium gear and having it pay-off big time.

I have heard on OFF, and agree, that on the Columbia and in coastal river tidewaters, when trolling herring (or lures) with flashers/spreaders/drop weights, that many people go with 20# or 30# leader for their mooching rigs and 50# braid main line on a M or MH rod. Hooking up in this situation, with lots of boats around and often very close, it can include dealing with hungry seals/sea lions, wind waves/white caps, and guide sleds racing by tossing big wakes at you and often there are nearby wood pilings or docks in the water..

so I think we are in agreement that it just comes down to using gear and line that you are comfortable with and adjust it for conditions as needed, next week at Siltcoos I will be using 8# leader on my spinners and also have my fly rod/reel along to try and get a coho on it...cheers, roger