Weak start to my Trillium trip

P
PTownAngler
So I was planning on being on the water at Trillium Lake this morning no later than 6am. It is now 9:50am and I'm leaving my house in about 5 min. I'm pretty disappointed, I'm hoping I will still be able to catch some nice trout. I'll log on on my phone when I'm on the lake and post a pic of my first catch, if I catch anything lol. One positive is the weather, its still all overcast and not very warm, I'm hoping its not as warm today as the weather man said it's gonna be. Hopefully I'll be back on a little later. Wish me luck!

T
TimberTodd
Good luck. Looking forward to your report.

troutdude
troutdude
Good luck, and tight lines.

Maybe this map will be helpful.

triilium lake.jpg

O
OnTheFly
We found most of the larger fish to be down at the far end of the lake next to the lilypads. Hope you bring home the badass bulldog fish that stretched my leader then spit the hook.

P
PTownAngler
Well, as you can probably tell by the fact I didn't get on and post any pics, I caught absolutely zero fish today. I fished the middle of the Lake and the opposite side from the boat ramp where the lily pads are, I tied my raft onto the branches sticking out of the water so I didn't drift away lol. I kept drifting to the far side of the Lake and had to spend a lot of time just paddling back towards the middle of the lake. The wind got a little heavy too. Maybe i'll catch my first trout next time. And i'm almost positive i'm going to buy a fishing pontoon. I was thinking about it before. Now after paddling all day just to stay in the same spot lol. A pontoon would be 1000 times easier to control and still are very comfortable and have plenty of room. That or an anchor lol

Reactions: OnTheFly
O
OnTheFly
Next trip you make out there, row over to the lily pads at the north end of the lake where the leaning dead stand is. It gets shallow there but if you can move your lure or fly through it just above the weeds you'll be golden.

P
PTownAngler
I'll try that next time I'm there for sure. I'm thinking about going back up there tomorrow. Getting there a little earlier than today, and taking an anchor too. I spent way to much time paddling today! Maybe I'll just go fish from the shore so I can be fishing the entire time. Anyone know any good spots to fish from shore?

L
lilsalmon
What OTF said....North end by lily pads...black rooster tail....I fly fish but I know this...I just hope that nice man that I was fishing next to doesn't get mad at me for giving it up. He limited on trophies when we were up there for our gathering......

J
JeannaJigs
I found all the big fish that ruined my day at the north end about 10-15 feet out from the lilly pads. I got about 10 in the 10-12 in range as well. All i used was the black wooly bugger i stole from OTF so I imagine that a black rooster tail would be epic.

N
ninja2010
hope you're throwing a small rooster tail for these trout... size 0 and 1.

and try different retrieves when fishing spinners on stillwater. pauses and rod tip shakes can trigger strikes due to the erratic stopping and fluttering of the blades.

and btw, you can still keep fishing even if you're getting blown around... you'll just be fishing different areas of the lake and covering more water. :cool: