Made my first rod.

M
Modest_Man
Bought a cheap kit off eBay (blank, guides, handle, reel seat) and bought my epoxies and thread etc. from Angler's Workshop in Woodland.

It's a 7' med action trout rod. It was WAY easier to do than I expected. Found the spine, epoxied on the handle and seat, spaced the guides, wrapped the guides, added thread preserver, then finished the thread with epoxy.

I have yet to take it out fishing and I'm already planning my second build, time to go high quality. ;)

Blank is a dark blue, thread is black and silver. Flash tends to make the blank appear brighter than it really is.

Close up of one of the guides (1:1 macro actually)-
DSC_0005-1.jpg

Little farther out (1:3 I think)-
DSC_0008-1.jpg

And my beautiful work station on the coffee table-
DSC_0009-2.jpg

M
mlw
Nice. Rod building is a lot of fun, I have made several. There are some really nice blanks out there.
Michael

troutdude
troutdude
Nice lookin' rod. Let's us know if fishes for ya.

M
mrlindeman
Very cool man. I would love to build my own someday. Did you see anyfly rod blanks while shopping for that one?

M
Modest_Man
I picked it up cheap off eBay (just went super cheap first go round), there are a ton of fly blank kits there too.

I bought it from this guy - ro6231 | eBay

M
mrlindeman
You rock Modest! Thanks!!!

M
Modest_Man
Pretty sure I decided on a second rod. I'm going to buy a 5/6wt 4pc fly blank in the 8-9' range and make an UL trout backpacking spinning rod...Gonna huck my spinners a QUARTER MILE.

R
ryan808
Nice job on the rod. You just started on a road that never ends, rod building is addictive. Keep up the good work.

M
Modest_Man
Yeah thanks, I was just amazed at how stinking easy it was. After I dink around on a couple more "cheap" rods I'm going to go all out and make a damn nice steelhead rod.

R
rippin fish lips
i think ill have to look into this

R
ryan808
Theres no sense in building cheapo rods, you'll never use them once you start building quality rods. Save yourself some money (maybe not) and just build on the blanks you want to fish. Once you get the first rod done and get the basics down, you should be on your way to building quality rods.

R
R&M Boatsaleslady
Modest_Man said:
I picked it up cheap off eBay (just went super cheap first go round), there are a ton of fly blank kits there too.

I bought it from this guy - ro6231 | eBay
Wow you should do a hole thing on making the next one step by step pics and all, that would be interesting to watch you do that....

18406ej
18406ej
Wow- beautiful work