What's better?

W
wormosa
whats better for fishing ochoco or prinville reservoir? going to bet there next week

F
fisherwilly
It depends on if you are boating or banking it and the species you want to target. I love Ochoco and mainly bank fish around around the boat launch bay and along the rocks and riprap along the dam. There are Crappie and Bullhead Catfish in the bay and trout along the rocky outcroppings. Prineville is where I spend most of my time and the bear creek arm is good for catfish and bass and the occasional trout. If you have a boat then there are plenty of catfish in any shallow flats this time of year. Prineville was super high last time I went down there. Prineville also fishes good from the Prineville side up to where the upper Crooked runs in for warm water species. I haven't fished it much but have heard good things. I don't know if this helps make a definite decision, but gives you some pros and cons.

P.S. The ODFW has been shocking the crap out of the Largemouth bass in Davis every spring and sending them to Prineville. I heard most Largemouths live in the upper end of the reservoir. There are some monster 8-10 pounders in Davis so there might be some bigger largemouths caught in Prineville.

W
wormosa
fisherwilly said:
It depends on if you are boating or banking it and the species you want to target. I love Ochoco and mainly bank fish around around the boat launch bay and along the rocks and riprap along the dam. There are Crappie and Bullhead Catfish in the bay and trout along the rocky outcroppings. Prineville is where I spend most of my time and the bear creek arm is good for catfish and bass and the occasional trout. If you have a boat then there are plenty of catfish in any shallow flats this time of year. Prineville was super high last time I went down there. Prineville also fishes good from the Prineville side up to where the upper Crooked runs in for warm water species. I haven't fished it much but have heard good things. I don't know if this helps make a definite decision, but gives you some pros and cons.

P.S. The ODFW has been shocking the crap out of the Largemouth bass in Davis every spring and sending them to Prineville. I heard most Largemouths live in the upper end of the reservoir. There are some monster 8-10 pounders in Davis so there might be some bigger largemouths caught in Prineville.

i want to get the trout probably, this will be my first time fishing from either place and i will be in my boat. if i want to target trout what is the best set up? wedding ring and worm? any help would be great thank you.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I used to take the kids up to Prineville for trout. I'd go straight out from the marina to the cliff across the reservior. I'd make it simple power bait, weight, drop it to the bottom and reel up just a wee bit. It was great excitement for them and for me. This would be later in the year around mid July. Prineville is big and offers opportunities for bass, crappie, catfish and trout. Crappie are by the log boom near the marinia, green plastic grubs work well.

For Ochoco my neighbor trolls the reservior with pop gear, ford fenders, and a worm. He has nailed some big bow out of that place. Good luck.

F
fisherwilly
For trout I would probably go to Ochoco. Troll or fish around the creek inlets and rocky outcroppings (opposite sides of the lake). I haven't caught many trout out of Prineville so I am biased. Sounds like Irishrover knows where they are.

W
wormosa
we went to prineville, we fished probably 3 hours, my girlfriend did really well, she caught all the trout and 4 in total, her dad caught two catfish, and i got skunked....it was a great day, i was happy she got into some fish.

• 000_0098.jpg
K
kick_bass
Those damn bullhead are really takin over Ochoco, 18" bows used to be quite common but last time i went i think i ended up with 3 about 12". I think i caught more bullhead and crappie trolling than trout!