Fall chinook fishing

M
mikeredding
Fish are just outside the jetties right now. Won't be long and they will be in the jaws. Heck, maybe they are now.
Anybody tried yet?

F
fishingduck
I'm ready to go anytime. I have a 17' drift with motor (not outside the jetties) or we can take your boat. Split expenses and fish? Just getting back into fishing after 20yrs so I have an idea what to do but always willing to learn/copy from others.

B
bran_man
Already seen a couple pics through Facebook of some being caught in tide water... So yeah they're starting to trickle in already. Probably still pretty hit and miss though I'd imagine. Most are still out in the ocean... It's getting close!I will be checking it out myself very soon!!!

D
DYJ
yup me too. Most the ones I've seen on FB were further south, but I saw a text from the Umpqua caught last week.

R
rippin fish lips
OHHH YEAHHH. almost time to lay a smack down on these beasts!

M
marko
I have heard (only heard) that a few fish have been caught all the way up to bouy 23 by the big bend, just below gardiner. The main problem (I hear)seems to be the water temp and with the 90+ degrees this next week expected in Roseburg area ------would not bode well for increasing the bite soon. What ever the reason , I am happy that we have fish out there ready to come in. Will try the 26th. I want to be there when the bite is on! Anyone noticing the water temp of the river?
Marko

R
rippin fish lips
the key is to be there when the 52-54ish degree water comes in from the ocean. and this early in the season, you want to make sure your in the water 90% of the time.

P
plumb2fish
There are fish being caught in the river daily. Was down there the other day and saw at least 10 nets fly from 6-10 am....

F
fishingduck
Never fished the Umpqua tide water, I only have done the Slaw last year. Was thinking of heading out Tuesday the 30th and trolling around for a few hrs. Looks like outside temp will be in the high 60's which may cool things down a bit. I'm sure it's still early but would be nice to get the willie in the water and scout the area. Looking at map there are a few launches near Gardiner. Anyone have any suggestions on gear this time of year? Herring, spinners, eggs, shrimp ???

Marko if you go on the 26th let me know how it goes and if you (or anyone else) want to come on the 30th let me know.

T
troutmasta
THis thread will prevent me sleeping.

Im sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited!

M
marko
Ready to go! Have some blue and green lable herring, will plug cut, troll with 3-5 oz , spreader, flasher, and a net. dump the boat in at the coast guard station and start trolling at daylight. Hope I can sleep toight. Marko

E
eugene1
Good luck!

Bring some 8 or even 10 oz if you want to troll out at the jaws. Makes it easier.

Best,

marko said:
Ready to go! Have some blue and green lable herring, will plug cut, troll with 3-5 oz , spreader, flasher, and a net. dump the boat in at the coast guard station and start trolling at daylight. Hope I can sleep toight. Marko

F
fishingduck
Good luck to you Marko. Let me know how it went. I'm going on Tuesday so I would apprieciate any feedback you have including time it took to get there, parking, length of troll and anything else that would help a "virgin" to that stretch of water. Picking up some green lable herring today and will brine up some natural and colored this weekend.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Marko- hope you get to net one (or more), we are thinking of heading down on Sunday, interested to hear how the wind was for you...roger

T
troutmasta
Get some Marko!
Bring home some love.

M
marko
Well----not so good news. About 30+ boats between bouy 22&24. Not one fish on that I could see. Wind came up about noon and was brutal.
I talked to the checker at the coast guard station and he said he checked no fish and only a few crabs. He said he went fishing up by those bouys on wed and saw no fish hooked. We did see some roll so they are there, plenty marked with the fish finder . Just no action. Will try very early tomarrow morning then probably go home and wait a couple weeks. I did not check the water temp so hopefully will do that tomarrow morning. the bar was closed . Good luck to anyone going but it might be a boat ride----we worked out a bunch of "bugs" in our routine so the day was not lost. Marko

M
marko
We put in at the coast guard station today but will put in at the reedsport 101 bridge tomarrow morning---Marko

E
eugene1
Good to see any report from there, so thanks, marco!

Some days are awesome with nets flying everywhere and the next with the same conditions will be bust. Salmon are fickle creatures that we haven't figured out yet.

Keep at it and you'll be there when it's "the day".

Best,

Last edited:
M
marko
fished today from day break to 10:30 a lot of boats today between bouy 22 and bouy 25 and did see 5 fish netted. We touched nothing...... 3 rods out. Now I can say that I have been humbled so next trip should produce some action. I will be going august 3 and 4 so this will give plenty of time for a few nooks to show up and maybe the water to cool alittle . it was 57.7 today at bouy 22 . Nice tides coming in the next few evenings so ...... Will be looking for some reports. Marko

F
fishingduck
Marco, nice to hear you at least had a nice trip. I plan on doing my first one on Monday, but I really could use some advice. How will a 17' drift boat fair? Couldn't find any blue label but have green. Best place to put in? How long does it take to get there? Suggested boat launch?

Thanks in advance.