Wyoming trip

jamisonace
jamisonace
Gas $300
Wyoming license, stamp and invasive species sticker $119.50
First cast strike, Second cast strike, Third cast fish on......Priceless

Yesterday we arrived in Alpine Wyoming with drift boat in tow. I spent about an hour unpacking and rigging rods and set off to wade the Greys. I only had about an hour to fish so I scouted for the most part, wetting my line in a few of my favorite places.

The first run I fished was looking really good and was full of cutthroat. Biggest fish of evening was a whitefish though.....as usual it seems. They mostly liked dries but I did hook a couple on pheasant tail nymphs as well.

Most interesting part of the night. A huge beaver swam right up to me, checking me out. So close I was slapping the water around it with the tip of my fly rod to try to get it to leave. When it wouldn't I stepped out of the water (didn't need a chunk taken out of my leg) and waited on the bank. It turned, swam down into the hole I was fishing and and across the river and downstream. I hear those things can be mean so I was glad it left.

I'm pretty bad about pictures on these trips but I'll try to get some up over the next 10 days. I'll keep posting my daily fishing experiences though.

T
troutmasta
Jamie my wife is from Alpine! Beautiful country go there every year. The locals are very nice. Its just the prettiest town on that beautiful river / lake.
Soak that place in!
Are you hitting Teton and Yellowstone?
I'm am highly envious of you right now!
Have fun my friend!

jamisonace
jamisonace
Second biggest fish of the trip for me. I waited a year for this one and the bigger one. I was denied big fish after big fish out of this run last year. Water is lower this year so they didn't have a strong current to run me in to.
(I should look a lot more happy than I do)

P1000836.jpg

A few pics of my nephew with his fish and first fish on a fly.

P1000798.jpg

P1000801.jpg

P1000840.jpg

jamisonace
jamisonace
That's cool that your wife is from here. We love this place. My brother in law builds a lot of the homes on the runway and lives in the neighborhood between the runway and the lake. I won't be heading towards Jackson. The fishing immediately around Alpine is too good for me to want to travel too far. I'll be hitting the Greys, Salt, Snake and possibly head to the Green for a float/camping trip.

We used to live in Dubois so we'll head over there on Saturday to see some old friends and old fishing holes but I'll only fish for one evening.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Oooohhhh, I know a member who's going to be so jealous! :shock: Oh, wait, I am too! :shy: So much beautiful water over there, so many huge fish, so little time. Glad to see you getting into them. More pics, please. :popcorn:

C_Run
C_Run
Looks like you're all having a good 4th.

S
steelhead_slayer
Looks awesome. Glad your having a good trip

L
lilsalmon
I'm jealous! Nice fish and pics. Looks like you're going to have a VERY satisfying trip....I take it we won't be doing an evening float after work anytime soon...hehehehehe

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
We'll get out soon. I'm back on the 15th but working in Coos Bay for a few weeks. As soon as I can we'll get your float in.

lilsalmon said:
I'm jealous! Nice fish and pics. Looks like you're going to have a VERY satisfying trip....I take it we won't be doing an evening float after work anytime soon...hehehehehe

T
troutmasta
jamisonace said:
That's cool that your wife is from here. We love this place. My brother in law builds a lot of the homes on the runway and lives in the neighborhood between the runway and the lake. I won't be heading towards Jackson. The fishing immediately around Alpine is too good for me to want to travel too far. I'll be hitting the Greys, Salt, Snake and possibly head to the Green for a float/camping trip.

We used to live in Dubois so we'll head over there on Saturday to see some old friends and old fishing holes but I'll only fish for one evening.

Thats great Jamie! Again, its such an Amazing place. We had a Memorial for my Wife's uncle at the Tavern on the Greys last spring and I wanted to get some fishing in but didint get a chance. The lake was still frozen in some places. Any way, Enjoy your vacation!

L
lilsalmon
jamisonace said:
We'll get out soon. I'm back on the 15th but working in Coos Bay for a few weeks. As soon as I can we'll get your float in.

Woot Woot!!!!

jamisonace
jamisonace
I'll post pics later but here's an update on the fishing in Wyoming.

Thunder storms have muddied the Snake and Greys so my attention turned to the Salt and I've had a lot of fun out there either by myself or with my kids and nephews. The fishing on the Salt is always good even though it's been packed with guides since its one of only a few rivers that aren't brown.

Today we hit the famous South Fork of the Snake. Everyone said it was "ON FIRE!!!" Well it wasn't today but there were fish everywhere and we got into some. My boy's first fish was a pig caught on a dry(pictures will come later) and shortly thereafter I caught what I thought was a monster since it took me deep into my backing. Turns out it was foul hooked whitefish. It was big but nothing special. It was a fun day but not what I was hoping for. Looks like we missed the crazy bite by just a few days.

I'm hoping for the snake to be cleared back up tomorrow so I can float it and I'll be checking out the Greys as well. The great thing about Alpine is that I can check all the rivers clarity within a 2 mile drive from where I'm staying.