Handicap access?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Since moving into my community I have made friends with some great folks. One couple in particular got very excited when I mentioned I was going fishing on Mother's Day. At one point in their lives they were avid fisher folks, but with time and physical challenges they were forced to put aside their love for the sport. Well, they are now eager to resume the sport of drowning worms in the hopes of having a tasty fish dinner. The real challenge is finding docks for wheelchair bound folks to safely fish from. I volunteered to take them out to Breitenbush and Detroit Dam as well as Walter Wirth. But, I would love to have more options for them. If you know of any areas in the Salem (Santiam/Willamette, etc.) vicinity, please let me know. These are wonderful people with fairly serious health issues who just want to re-live a few glorious memories on the water. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

O
OnTheFly
I'm almost certain Silverton reservoir has a handicap platform.

W
wozniasm
St. Louis Ponds (Woodburn area) have some docks.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thanks guys, I'll check them out. Those are two I hadn't thought about.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
​Thanks, I will check out those sites as well. There was a site called "Handi-Angler" that had good info, but it has shut down after the founder passed away. Thanks again.

N
n8r1
It's a 2 hour drive from Salem, (each way) but the NFN Hatchery has a really nice handicapped fishing platform if you wanted to target salmon and/or steelhead in the fall.

W
wozniasm
Don't forget to try "boat escape"!:D

D
disabledfisherman
I believe a new website for handicap or dsabled fishing will be out in about a week. Watch for it, disabledfishingoregon.com it will be very inclusive with places to fish, forms for licensure and some photos and videos. I believe they are going to be a nonprofit so check them out and maybe donate to their cause to help us all!!!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the info! I will definitely check it out. They are so excited! They went out and bought gear and license yesterday then were like little kids filling the tackle boxes. :D

Top Bottom