What line to use????

G
Game_fish
I am new to sturgeon fishing and I will be bank fishing. I have a penn 320 reel with 80lb tuff line braided Dacron. The line keeps breaking on me after a few casts is this normal? The line is probably 12-15 yrs old. It seems strong but when I went to set the hook on a potential bite it just went snap!!! I keep losing my weights. And weights aren't cheap!

Why does the line keep failing me?!

S
steelie_killa
I use a diawa saltist with 20 lb main line...never had a problem...ive landed many oversize in the 7-8 ft range...the trick is to use ur drag when fighting them...

R
rippin fish lips
It's time for new line.

I
igquick
Like he said, I think new line would be appropriate.

T
Tinker
Even dacron gets old, and your 12-15 year old line is ancient.

G
Game_fish
Ok so I need new line, but what should I go with. As I said I'm bank fishing and in some heavy current to using up to 18 oz of weight.
Should I go with a braid or mono?

T
Tinker
Game_fish said:
Ok so I need new line, but what should I go with. As I said I'm bank fishing and in some heavy current to using up to 18 oz of weight.
Should I go with a braid or mono?

I'd use a braided line for how you're fishing. Since it'll be much smaller diameter than braided dacron, you can go up in weight, from 80 to 100-plus. I think it's safe to consider the new braids as at least as strong as the braided dacron you're using, but they're more expensive than braided dacron and mono. The new braids will easily last more than a single season - but probably not 10 years!

If you don't want to change from Dacron, Bi-Mart carries Tuf-Line braided dacron, but I don't remember all the weights... I bought 30# to tie bobber stops. Tuf-Line makes the newer braided Spectra lines, too.

Others may have different opinions, but I think that braided Spectra lines are about the same cost as monofilament since I generally change mono after each season. New braids are more expensive to buy, but since I change them every third year, it evens out.

G
Game_fish
Ok I don't think I want to go with Dacron as I've noticed it has a lot of drag in the current. But I'm so new to braided lines I have no idea what to look at. All the lines say they have something that the competitor doesn't.

Are there some braids that are more user friendly and cast-able? Or do they all behave the same?

T
Tinker
Game_fish said:
Ok I don't think I want to go with Dacron as I've noticed it has a lot of drag in the current. But I'm so new to braided lines I have no idea what to look at. All the lines say they have something that the competitor doesn't.

Are there some braids that are more user friendly and cast-able? Or do they all behave the same?

Fair enough. There's an opinion from anyone and everyone, and I've tried to dodge around it... I read a lot of the independent tests, and really, honestly, there's no real differece between the traditional, new "super" braids. Berkely Nanofil and Fireline are fused braids, and are different.

Shimano's PowerPro is the number one best selling Spectra fiber braid at Bass Pro, Cablela's and Amazon. It is close to the lowest price per foot. 80 lb has the diameter of 18lb monofilament; 100lb has a diameter equal to 20lb mono; 150lb is the same diameter as 30lb mono. I don't know how much it will take to fill your Penn, but 80lb costs around $65 for 500 yards, 100lb and 150lb will cost around $85, +/- $10 depending on where you buy it.

You can cut the cost by putting a heavy mono backing on the reel (you'll need a few yards anyway because these braids are very slick and will spin on the spool if you have enough line out).

Remember what I said about tests by Sports Afield and Outdoor Life and others: there's no real difference in these new braids from brand to brand, so go with what suits your pocket the best.

Nanofil and Fireline are fused braids. I have used and like Fireline, but it is a bit pricey. I use Power Pro Super 8 Slick but ONLY because it comes in two colors that I use the most: Green for clearer water and Brown for really dirty water.

BE AWARE that I fish smaller species than sturgeon and the heaviest line I use is 30lb. I think I've steered you in the right direction, but I dont use line that heavy...

Happy fishing!

G
Game_fish
Huge thanks!!!

T
Tinker